Re: my saved games are gone when I enter sims

by curlykeetz

Original Post

Accepted Solution

my saved games are gone when I enter sims

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hello, Help please!

After i was done downloading cc, I went to go play sims 4 it wouldn't let me open sims 4 from the desktop, so I went to origin. When I clicked on origin, the origin tab disappearing as if it was loading the game up but then origin opened back up again. I tried fixing the problem by right-clicking the application on the desktop then click run as administrator. That fixed the opening problem but then none of my saved games were there. So I closed the Sims 4 and tried to play it normally, it opened normally as I would do it regularly but none of my saved games are there!

My saves folder is still there and in the correct spot : Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4.

Help please, I have had Sims 4 since around March and it has working fine up until today. I'm on Windows 10 laptop if that helps with anything

Also none of my cc/mods are there. The menu doesn't show up listing all of the cc/mods. It's like I'm just getting Sims 4 for the first time.

Message 1 of 23 (956 Views)

Accepted Solution

@curlykeetz  Great, so you can now copy over your other saves in the same way.  Then you can move your mods and custom content from the folder you moved to the new one in Documents\Electronic Arts.  Please do so in batches, testing each time, in case something is broken.  If your saves don't show up or can't be loaded, you'll know there's something wrong with one of the files you just moved, and you'll need to split that batch and test until you find the problem file(s).

As long as you don't save your progress in your save games, you won't have to worry about missing objects.  Everything will be back once all your cc is in place.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 23 of 23 (869 Views)

All Replies

@curlykeetz  It's possible Sims 4 is reading a different user data folder than it was before.  Search your computer for "config' without quotes.  Each Sims 4 folder the game has used will contain exactly one config.log, and its modified date will reflect the last time the game was opened using that folder.  So you'll be able to tell which folder is being read, and where your saves, mods and cc, and other content should go.

Message 2 of 23 (944 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I searched my computer for "config" and there is one document there for Sims 4, how do I know which folder is being read?
Message 3 of 23 (933 Views)

@curlykeetz  Look at the last modified date and time on the file.  If it matches the last time you launched Sims 4, it's the correct folder; if not, there's another folder somewhere.  Check OneDrive (or iCloud on a Mac) for a second folder.

Message 4 of 23 (923 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict It's in the correct folder
Message 5 of 23 (918 Views)

@curlykeetz  Okay, move your entire Sims 4 user data folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Launch the game to create a clean folder.  Go into Saves inside the old folder you moved, copy one save file (make sure it doesn't have a .verx on the end of it), and paste it in Saves inside the clean folder.  Load your game and see whether the save shows up.

Don't worry about missing content; this is just to test whether your save is available to load.  If it is, you can copy over your other saves, as well as your mods and custom content.  But do so in batches, checking each time to make sure everything shows up at the Main Menu.

Message 6 of 23 (858 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict When I launched the game a new Sims 4 folder did not appear.
Message 7 of 23 (818 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I didn't try and play a game yet
Message 8 of 23 (817 Views)

@curlykeetz  Okay, that means that the game is reading a different folder somewhere on your computer.  If Sims 4 launches, it by definition writes to a user data folder, or creates a new one if there isn't one already in Documents\Electronic Arts.

Does your computer run Windows or macOS?  Have you checked whether there's a Sims 4 folder in OneDrive or iCloud?

Message 9 of 23 (787 Views)

★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Sorry it took me so long to respond. I have a Windows computer, I don't know how to check that
Message 10 of 23 (746 Views)