by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

Re: my progress on a save file set back weeks of progress

★★★ Novice

yes

Message 11 of 21 (487 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@CarlieKittens - Try a search on your computer for "Sims 4" to see if there are any other documents folders on the computer. Also check to be sure that the saves files didn't accidentally get moved to a subfolder in your documents. If you find any saves folders, copy to the desktop so you can easily find them. I suggest making a 'TS4 Backup' folder so you can copy anything you find into that.

Also try searching for "Sims" (without the quotation marks) on OneDrive. Instructions for doing so are here. Copy any folders you find on OneDrive to your TS4 Backup folder. Try keeping all these backups in subfolders, named so you know where they came from.

If you find any saves anywhere else but in the \<YourWindowsUserName>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\saves folder on your desktop, copy the folders and save files (Slot_########.save files) to your backup folder. It's possible that your gen 3 files were created under a different windows user name, the folder was accidentally moved to a different place at one time, the save folder or files were accidentally deleted, or the folder was synced to OneDrive back when you used to play it (and now you're not using OneDrive any more). 

Once you have all the save files in your backup folder, you can copy them to the correct saves folder in your documents on your hard drive. 

I also suggest that you reset your game. Click the spoiler tag for instructions.

Spoiler

Completely exit the game and Origin

• Copy the entire "The Sims 4" folder to a 'TS4 Backup' folder (can be on an external drive or onto your desktop)
  • In your documents folder on your PC, rename "The Sims 4" folder to "The Sims 4 Backup"
  • Start The Sims 4 from Origin 
  • Check to make sure that there are no "Load Game" options. The game should start completely new with no previous games in it.
  • Click on the Play button and start a new game just to check that it works. Make a random sim and place in a household. You don't have to save this game, just make sure the game works. You can exit to main menu without saving
  • Exit the game and Origin
  • Now you can start putting back your old files. Do this in the following order, opening the game and testing to be sure everything is working before you move to the next steps
    • Copy your save files into the new 'Saves' folder
    • Copy your Options.ini file to the new 'The Sims 4' folder. (or you can just reset your options in the settings menu)
    • Copy the files from screenshots to the new 'Screenshots' folder
    • Copy the files in the Tray folder to the new 'Tray' folder
    • Finally, copy the Mods files from the backup folder to the new Mods folder. This will put back all your mods and cc, if you have any. Copy each file one at a time and then test the game to make sure it runs correctly before you copy the next one. If you have a lot of mods or cc, use the 50% method to narrow down any problems. Check with the content creator for updated copies on anything that breaks your game

Please let us know if you find your old games, and if so, where they were. This could help other users with the same problem. Good luck!

Message 12 of 21 (476 Views)

★★★ Novice

I found another folder under documents called The Sims 4 that is not within the EA folder,  so I went to those saves and put them in my game, but the most recent save is from June of 2018.

Message 13 of 21 (469 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@CarlieKittens - Did you also search the trash & OneDrive? When you did the reset, did it create a new 'The Sims 4' folder? 

I'm asking around with the other helpers to see if they have any additional ideas. 

Message 14 of 21 (443 Views)

★★★ Novice

There were no files in onedrive and i tried resetting and it didn't work either.

Message 15 of 21 (431 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@CarlieKittens - It seems that the files you were looking for must have been deleted and are unrecoverable. After all this searching, if they existed on your computer you would have found them by now. Disappointed

At least you have the gen 2 files and didn't lose the entire legacy. I once lost all of my saves, including a legacy challenge, so I feel your pain. I suggest that from now on you do regular backups by copying your Saves folder to a safe place - either an external drive or at least a different spot on your hard drive. Here's to Happy Simming from now on.

Message 16 of 21 (418 Views)

★★★ Novice

Darn that sucks, thank you soooooo much for all of your help, I really appreciate it, hopefully this will help someone else with a similar problem.

Message 17 of 21 (398 Views)

Hero (Retired)

You're very welcome. I really wish we would have found your files. Like you said, I hope this can at least help others. Happy Simming! (and backups Wink )

Message 18 of 21 (391 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Hey, I have a similar problem and haven't been able to solve it yet. Even though I saved my game progress many times, after starting it up again today it reset to an earlier stage. The strange thing is, however, that all my save files are in the right folder, and when opening the main menu it shows the right ("latest") version on the load game page. But when I actually load the game and start playing, it will start off at a way earlier stage. I've already tried recovering an earlier save and renaming the save files, but nothing seems to help. Would you have any other ideas I can try?
Message 19 of 21 (366 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@sarimisims

Probably some files in the game folder responsible for this option have been damaged. Try to do a factory reset as described below.
After completing this, all your safes and library will be as they were.
The only thing you have to do is set the graphics again in the game options.
Go to Documents/ElectronicArts - inside will be The Sims4 folder
Step 1. Rename The Sims4 folder to "The Sims4 old"
Step 2. Fix the game in Origin
Origin/Library - right-click on TS4 - option "Repair game"
You have to wait until Origin will fix all packs, not only the base game.
Step 3. Turn on the game - a new game folder will be created and you will have two - one old, one new
Step 4. Check if you still have this problem in the newly created game folder.
If the problem disappeared
Step 5. Delete in the new game folder following folders:
"saves" and Tray.
Step 6. Go to "The Sims 4 old" folder and copy - your "saves " folder.
Step. 7, Paste this folder in a newly created game folder.
Step 8. Do the same with Tray folder and TrayDeleteItems file
Step 9. Check if there are newly updated version mods you are using.
Then copy and paste your mods and CC from old mods folder to the new one. First copy the scripts mods every time checking if the game is working properly. If you have a lot of CC try 50/50 method ( divide your CC into smaller batches for example 50 pieces in one subfolder and check these subfolders one by one)
Step. 10. If all is OK - delete The Sims4 old folder.

I don't work for EA
Message 20 of 21 (362 Views)