Re: low gpu usage and fps sims 4

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

low gpu usage and fps sims 4

★★★ Novice

I just bought a brand new gaming laptop and noticed the graphics aren't as good as my old computer. My old computer had integrated Nvidia Geforce GT 730. My new laptop has Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 so I assumed the graphics would be much better. I have activated my graphics card but noticed I am only getting 30% - 40% GPU usage. My fps are also very low at 29.99. Could this be the reason the graphics aren't as good?

Message 1 of 7 (3,091 Views)

Hey there,

I've moved your post to a more relevant board than EA General Questions.

Happy Holidays! 

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 2 of 7 (3,063 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Jorcayo 

Make sure your graphics are set to Ultra in Options.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 3 of 7 (3,057 Views)

★★★ Novice

They are set to ultra.

Message 4 of 7 (3,024 Views)

@Jorcayo  Is your laptop plugged in while you're playing?  A laptop's energy settings will often throttle performance to almost unplayable levels when running on battery.

If that's not the issue, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 5 of 7 (3,015 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thankyou for your help. I play with it plugged in sometimes. 

Message 6 of 7 (3,004 Views)

@Jorcayo  Please set Windows to run Sims 4 in high-performance mode.  I'm not totally sure this setting is in the same location in Windows 11 as in 10, but here's how in 10:  Hit Windows key-i, select System > Display > Graphics settings, click Browse, and select TS4_x64.exe.  Click on it, choose the high-performance option, and Save.  Then try playing, with the laptop plugged in.

If fps is still low, try playing while your laptop is not connected to the internet.  You can sign into Origin and put it in offline mode, then disable wifi before pressing Play.

While testing, please use a clean Sims 4 user folder, as in, move the current folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, which will allow the game to generate a new one with no content.  Start a new save in one of the base game worlds to set a baseline.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 7 of 7 (2,990 Views)