Re: launcher wont load

by ElyseMander

Original Post

Accepted Solution

launcher wont load

★ Novice

Hello,

I have uninstalled and reinstalled deleted all files but no matter what i try, the sims 3 isn't working. the launcher crashes before allowing me to click play. and the one time i got it to work it was so unbelievably pixelated and then crashed on trying to play. i have a gaming laptop with way more than minimum requirements. its the latest windows. everything is up to date i am playing 1.69. 

Message 1 of 5 (399 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@ElyseMander  There are a few potential issues I see.  The first is that while you have a strong dedicated graphics card capable of running all packs, TS3 may be using the much weaker integrated card instead.  You can check your deviceconfig (inside your game folder in Documents) to see which card the game used last; the entry is about 30 lines down.

Another issue is that you only have 8 GB RAM.  That's more than enough for TS3 and Windows, but running other apps in the background could max out your computer's memory.  Try launching the game immediately after restarting your computer to see whether it makes a difference.

Also, you said you deleted all TS3 files, but if that didn't include your game folder, you should remove that as well.  If you have any saves or other content you'd like to keep, you can move the folder to the desktop while you troubleshoot, and then move the content back later.

One other question is whether you're using any antivirus/firewall program, and if so, which one.

Finally, I hope you've installed TS3 on your large secondary drive, not the 128 GB SSD.  This drive is too small to contain much more than Windows itself.  You'll need to redirect Documents to the secondary drive as well.  But you can leave that particular step for when you're sure the game is running properly.

Edit:  I meant to include this, but I got distracted and forgot.  The drivers for both your graphics cards are quite old, I believe significantly more so than your OS.  You can update the drivers from Acer's website, or from AMD's.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (374 Views)

All Replies

@ElyseMander  Please run a dxdiag on your computer and attach the results to a post here (use the Browse button). This will help cover a number of potential issues at once.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also list the packs you have installed.

Message 2 of 5 (388 Views)

★ Novice

here...

Message 3 of 5 (383 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ElyseMander  There are a few potential issues I see.  The first is that while you have a strong dedicated graphics card capable of running all packs, TS3 may be using the much weaker integrated card instead.  You can check your deviceconfig (inside your game folder in Documents) to see which card the game used last; the entry is about 30 lines down.

Another issue is that you only have 8 GB RAM.  That's more than enough for TS3 and Windows, but running other apps in the background could max out your computer's memory.  Try launching the game immediately after restarting your computer to see whether it makes a difference.

Also, you said you deleted all TS3 files, but if that didn't include your game folder, you should remove that as well.  If you have any saves or other content you'd like to keep, you can move the folder to the desktop while you troubleshoot, and then move the content back later.

One other question is whether you're using any antivirus/firewall program, and if so, which one.

Finally, I hope you've installed TS3 on your large secondary drive, not the 128 GB SSD.  This drive is too small to contain much more than Windows itself.  You'll need to redirect Documents to the secondary drive as well.  But you can leave that particular step for when you're sure the game is running properly.

Edit:  I meant to include this, but I got distracted and forgot.  The drivers for both your graphics cards are quite old, I believe significantly more so than your OS.  You can update the drivers from Acer's website, or from AMD's.

Message 4 of 5 (375 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you...

I used avg tune up to clear background apps. i moved it all to the my computer/ d space and turned up the graphics. it is now playing very well. A*

Message 5 of 5 (364 Views)