issues with my Sims uploading and updating [Edit - Admin.]

by royalt48

Original Post

issues with my Sims uploading and updating [Edit - Admin.]

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I am having I many issues with my Sims uploading and updating...I am using a Dell Inspiron 5000 series, Windows 10 (which I have changed the compatibility on to Windows Vista sp1) as directed but now the game tells me my "base game is not compatible with my expansion pack and to update the game via the game launcher". I am confused because there aren't even any expansion packs installed yet????? On top of the update is not being made available through launcher. I'm getting VERY irritated with this because now I'm at the point where I feel like I'm just throwing away my money. My last laptop suddenly crashed so last week I went  and bought a whole new laptop JUST so I could play Sims...and I can't. #Mad..

Message 1 of 12 (478 Views)

Re: EA is the Dev[Edit - Admin.]

@royalt48  First of all, TS3 works just fine in Windows 10 (most of the time); compatibility mode is unnecessary and causes more issues than it solves.  Whatever is going wrong right now, it's a good idea to do a clean uninstall and then clean your computer's registry before reinstalling.  You can clean the registry either manually—be careful not to delete anything else, or you could damage your computer—or with a tool like Piriform's CCleaner.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-3/manually-uninstalling-the-sims-3/

It would be helpful to know what kind of install you have—disc, Steam, or Origin.  If disc, does the base game require Origin to run or not?  (Does it have an Origin logo on the front?  This doesn't apply to packs.)  You wouldn't want to use the launcher to update anyway, but how (or if) you patch will depend on your type of install.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 12 (464 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@royalt48  Is the Dell Inspiron the new (a new used?) computer? It would be nice if you provide the dxdiag for that computer. The Sims 3 game requires some programs to be downloaded or enabled (such as .net framework for one) for the game to run. These programs may (probably) won't work right away on a new machine. Windows 10 new install does not have .net framework enabled.  You have go into the control panel and enable it for Windows 10. Sims 3 really never got updates (patches) through the launches very well and now that the game is considered legacy to get the game to the latest patch level all you have to do is google the sims 3 super patch, download it and follow the instructions. Did you install from disc or get the digital download? Remember this forum is provided by EA so users can help users.

Message 3 of 12 (452 Views)

★★★ Novice

I installed using disc and yes it did require me to download it though origin...I did that and the game would download but not open though origin...I was advised to uninstall origin and do a "standard" download using the disc... When that didn't work, I saw advice online regarding compatibility issues with the W10 program... So I followed that advice thinking maybe they would help... It did (I guess) because I was then promoted to update my game... And they was successful through launcher, however the error message telling me my base game isn't compatible with expansions confused me because there aren't any expansions installed. Only the base game, and it's brand new out the box. It's taking me I need to update those packs through the game launcher in order to play... But the update option isn't letting me click on it.

I am not all that computer savvy... Just a Sim lover frustrated and confused.

Message 4 of 12 (442 Views)

@royalt48  Origin is supposed to play nice with disc installs, but in reality that doesn't often happen.  The best thing to do here is to uninstall TS3, clean the registry as described above, and download the base game only through Origin, without using the disc at all.  This way, you'll get the latest version of the game instead of the earlier one included on your disc, and you won't have to worry about patching.

If the base game launches, you can move on to installing your packs, again through Origin.  If it doesn't launch, then follow roberta's advice about enabling the .net framework through the Control Pane.  If that doesn't help either, a dxdiag is in order.  You can run one and attach the results here using the Browse button.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 5 of 12 (435 Views)

★★★ Novice

Okay I will try this suggestion as soon as I can. Thank you so much for your help! Standard smile

Message 6 of 12 (423 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ok so I did find something helpful after taking your advice. I uninstalled through Origin (which had only the one block for TS3, which I assumed was because I used  ta downloaded the disc starter pack) but I did think it was odd because I installed the base disc and both expansion disc, so I expected 3 blocks. Anyway, I uninstalled it and when I searched The sims on my computer nothing came up do i thought it was fine and downloaded the piriform and cleaned the registry. 

However, after that I opened up my control panel to see if I could find this ". framework" business...I clicked on "uninstall program" (IDK why lol) but I find the 2 separate expansion packs Late Night and High End Stuff stored as 2 separate files! :0 even though everything else said it was deleted. Also I read online that when you install a bundle it is uninstalled as bundle... Obviously not, so maybe this is why it kept saying my expansions needed updating, because they were actually still installed.

Message 7 of 12 (414 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@royalt48  If your game and all your expansions are in Origin, if you install from Origin (the digital download version) it will install the 1.69 version (you won't need to download the super patch) and all the expansions you have in your Origin library. If you install from disc then the disc version will install SecuROM and SafeDisc which is no longer supported by the operating system and you will have to patch to version 1.69 for Origin to upade properly. the .net framework is located in control panel, programs and features, turn Windows features on or off. You may also need to install Microsoft Visual c++ redist. I have several versions installed but at the very least the 2010 version x86 and x64 versions. You will see these in the  uninstall or change a program.

Message 8 of 12 (400 Views)

★★★ Novice

Omgosh...this is all so disappointing, especially for a computer illiterate like myself lol I don't really understand a lot of the advice even lol but I am trying... Nothing is working.

What is I just buy a game made before 2012? Will I be able to just put the disc in and play then?

I went out and bought this computer specifically for the disc drive to avoid having to go through all of this. Lol guess I outsmarted myself there.

Message 9 of 12 (379 Views)

@royalt48  To install and play TS3 without Origin's involvement, you need disc copies of all of your packs and a base game disc manufactured before the Origin tie-in became mandatory, which would be September 2012.  It's certainly possible to find these discs, but it might be a hassle, depending on where you live.  You can always check the date on the back of the case; the discs that require Origin will also have the Origin logo on the front.

But for now, you could always install entirely through Origin and see whether you're happy enough playing that way.  Once you've uninstalled those two errant packs and cleaned your registry (again), you shouldn't have a problem installing.

Message 10 of 12 (372 Views)