i cant install the sims 3 because it keeps saying updatetool.exe has stopped working

by ruby2197

Original Post

i cant install the sims 3 because it keeps saying updatetool.exe has stopped working

★ Newbie

please help, i'm new to the sims and each time i install the sims it just keeps saying how updatetool.exe has stopped working, i dont understand what that means

Message 1 of 6 (547 Views)

Re: i cant install the sims 3 because it keeps saying updatetool.exe has stopped working

★ Pro

Hi

Are you on PC or MAC?

Are you trying to install from disc or digital from Origin?

Message 2 of 6 (544 Views)

Re: i cant install the sims 3 because it keeps saying updatetool.exe has stopped

★★★ Newbie

This is happening to me too, and while (of course) I can't speak for anyone else, I'm on a PC and trying to install from disc.

Message 3 of 6 (495 Views)

Re: i cant install the sims 3 because it keeps saying updatetool.exe has stopped

@LeilianasCoffee  Are you also trying to install Origin from disc?  If so, please download and install a standalone copy of Origin first, then install the game once the fully updated version of Origin is up and running.

If that's not what you're doing, please let me know when you see the error, and post a screenshot of it as well.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 6 (476 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@puzzlezaddict It would be fair to say that I am trying to install the Sims 3, and if I needed to install Origin to get to a place where I could use Sims 3, so be it. So yes, I was trying to install Origin from my Sims 3 disc.

I actually ended up contacting EA technical support and they were able to direct me to a website where I could download the current version of Origin - apparently, the lion's share of my problem is that the disc installs an old version of Origin that doesn't work well (at least, it doesn't work well with my computer, and apparently not with plenty of others, too). I had to uninstall Origin and then reinstall the different version from the website, but sure enough, that fixed my problem! 

In case anyone else having similar issues stumbles across this thread, here is the link I used: https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/download

Thank you so much for seeing my comment and trying to help! 

Message 5 of 6 (468 Views)

Community Manager
Thanks for sharing that @LeilianasCoffee. I'll close this off here on that note. Standard smile

For future members, if you're having this issue and the steps shared hasn't helped, please open a new thread. Thanks
Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 6 of 6 (363 Views)