Re: how to delete sims mod file

by JanePhoenix

Original Post

how to delete sims mod file

★★★★★ Novice

Help! I deleted my Sims mod file long ago and it never reappeared. I never saw any Sim with those hairstyle or clothes. Everything was great.

Suddenly it reappeared! I got the warning blurb when I logged into Sims 4.

I don't need or want those mods or any mods. How do I delete it? I've looked everywhere. I can't find it.

Now my Sims game just flashes and flashes. Not lightning flashes. Error flashes. I cannot play it as the screen keeps jerking with these flashes. Please help me find and delete this file.

Message 1 of 8 (32,312 Views)
Highlighted

Hero (Retired)
@SantaFeAtBay You may have better luck posting this question on The Sims 4 board over here - https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en
Message 2 of 8 (32,283 Views)

Community Manager

@SantaFeAtBay You can delete the mods fully by opening your Sims 4 folder in My Documents and in the mod folder delete all mods, in your case you can just delete the entire folder. 

You will then need to clear the Sims 4 cache which you can do by deleting the file localthumbscache.package which is the folder in which your Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/ cache can be found.

You also need to delete all files that end in .cache but leave the actual directory. 

Now go ahead and go back  to the cachestr folder. Delete all of the files but once again do not delete the actual directory.

If you see a folder called onlinethumbnailcache then you can go ahead and trash it too.

Darko.png
Message 3 of 8 (32,276 Views)

★★★ Newbie

what’s the ‘actual directory’? 

Message 4 of 8 (28,336 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @renaataaa you need to leave the folder but delete the files in it mentioned in the previous post.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 5 of 8 (28,288 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@EA_Darko It will not let me delete any of these files. It gives me errors every time I try.
Message 6 of 8 (13,691 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Tessie2you1 what are the error messages that you are seeing?

The more info we have the better we can help.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 7 of 8 (13,658 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@Tessie2you1 wrote:
@EA_DarkoIt will not let me delete any of these files. It gives me errors every time I try.

Have you got OneDrive installed? Uninstall that if you do. That could be dropping old files back in so = terrible for games.

Not sure if Defender Controlled Folders would prevent removal of files (it usually just prevents installation of game files) but if that's on then turn it off.

Both are bad for games.

Message 8 of 8 (13,643 Views)