Re: how do i get back all my data????

by LoveisLove767

Original Post

@LoveisLove767  I noticed in your earlier screenshots that you had copies of many (all?) of your subfolders in Mods.  Did you transfer the copies over too, or just the originals?  If the copies are in your Mods folder now, delete them; they'll be the ones labeled [something] - copy.

If that doesn't help, get rid of the Sims 4 folder currently on your desktop, move the Sims 4 folder now in Documents\Electronic Arts to your desktop, and launch the game to create another clean folder.  Move your mods to the clean folder in batches, testing each time to make sure the game still loads and that the mods all appear as well.  Any batch that causes the game to freeze or hang needs to be split and tested again until you've found the problem file(s).

Once your mods are confirmed as working, you can move over the contents of Tray, then test, then move Saves, and test again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 11 of 22 (461 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I'm trying desperately to conpherend all of this. Again, I'm a compete computer noob. I moved all my saves and mods to the clean folders, in the appropriate subfiles. Exactly what copy do I move to the desktop? I'm so so confused. Again, it's all my fault, I'm hopeless with any and all technology

Message 12 of 22 (452 Views)

@LoveisLove767  Okay, let's try this a different way.

• Go into Documents\Electronic Arts, click on the words "The Sims 4," and change the name to "Backup"
  • Launch the game, get to the Main Menu, enable mods and custom content, and quit
  • Go into the Backup folder, open Mods, right-click on ONE of the folders inside Mods (one that doesn't have the word "copy" in the name), and select the option to Copy
  • Go into Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods, right-click in the empty space, and select Paste
  • Back up one folder, to The Sims 4, and delete localthumbcache.package
  • Launch the game, start a new save (no need to spend much time on it; this is just for testing), and make sure the mods or cc items you just copied over work in-game
  • Repeat the three steps above for another subfolder inside Backup\Mods, and another, and another, until you've tested all of your mods and custom content

If at any point, the game starts crashing, hanging, freezing, whatever, stop and let me know.

Message 13 of 22 (447 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I'm REALLY sorry you have to deal with me. Thank you

Message 14 of 22 (445 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I've gotten my saves to load! But not my mods. How do I properly move them to the mods folder?

Message 15 of 22 (430 Views)

@LoveisLove767  Are mods enabled in the game options?  Have you tried one subfolder at a time?  Some mods may be outdated, but a few at least should be working properly.

If that doesn't help, please take another screenshot (the ones before were perfect) of the Mods folder inside Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4.  I'll check back in a few hours.

Message 16 of 22 (421 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I'll send a screenshot in just a minute But the game literally won't run. I click the tab and it just whisks me right to the origin store.
Message 17 of 22 (419 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

yeeteth.PNGhere you go!

Message 18 of 22 (413 Views)

@LoveisLove767  Okay, has the game run at any point during this process?  When was the last time it did?  If you can, backtrack and restore your Sims 4 folder to what it was when the game ran.  If you can't or aren't sure what you did, that's fine; just let me know and we can start again.

Message 19 of 22 (379 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

It was not on at the time. How can I backtrack and restore the folder for when the game ran? I'm curious about that. Srry this is taking so long, by the way.

Message 20 of 22 (372 Views)