Re: custom content package/rar files won't download

by jpkarlsen

Original Post

custom content package/rar files won't download

★★★ Newbie

so i've been downloading stuff from tumblr, hours worth of custom content. when i opened up sims4, none of it was there. i made sure the custom content option was allowed too. so i tried to figure out why it wasnt working and i found out that none of the file types that are PACKAGE/rar files do not work. these aren't .package files, its different.

now, the problem with the package files are that they are saved under a picture format. and when you download it, it asks if you want to open it up with anything in specific. i said no, and just saved the file as is. when it didnt go in game, i tried to maybe open the file or extract it or maybe even change it. when i tried to open it, i got 'windows photo viewer doesn't support this format' or something along those lines. so, then i right clicked it to see if i could open it with winzip, but it wouldn't work. so i right clicked and pressed on the option, open with... and then the only option i had was the photo viewer and i couldn't use that, and the winzip file wasn't listed. then, i went to winzip and attempted to click and drag the custom content file to it, but it wouldn't do anything but sit there, idle. is there anyway i can change it so it's not in the PACKAGE format or the photo format? because it's super annoying that all the custom content i download will not work in game.

when i try the rar file by opening it with a winzip, the same exact thing happens. when i right click and press open, it has a pop up saying it needs a program to open it with, but i dont have any sufficient ones. (i'll post the photos of that in a different post, i reached my photo limit on this one) then if i just press on it in general, the same exact pop up opens.

is there any way i can change the format type or the type of file?

Message 1 of 4 (8,088 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Try to manually change the name of the files adding format at the end like this: ".package" and see if it becomes visible by the game. That's how I solved my problem.

And I'm not sure .rar is the right CC format. Shouldn't it be .zip and .t4script?

Message 2 of 4 (8,073 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@pandandagirl

WARNING! do not do what @SamVelsh suggests. I will post the correct answer shortly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 3 of 4 (8,066 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Lets clear up one thing first. The .package files are NOT saved in an image format. What happened is that you at one time tried to open a .package file with Photo Viewer causing Windows to associate that file type with Photo Viewer and assign its icon to it.

It is possible to reset fileassociations to their default. Google "How to reset file associations in Windows XX" where XX is your version of Windows. It is however not needed as it has no influence on how the file works.

Next there is your .rar files. Use WinRAR or another packing program that can handle these to extract the files in them. I will recommend you sort them into folders to make it simpler for you to test your Mods and CC when the game is updated there is a good chance that at least some of them needs to be updated as well.

Lastly you should have read the install instructions where you downloaded from. Mods and CC goes in your Mods folder. Do not put the .rar files there. I can also see that you have files that belong in the Tray folder (houses, Sims and some other stuff go there.

Also remember to enable Mods and CC in Game settings

Lastly you have some that say V1,V2 and so on these may be intended for various game versions. Again please read the install instructions you may only need the latest version.

Only add a few at a time to your Mods folder then test that the game works. If you add all at once and some of them do not work you would need to remove all again and start over testing what works.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 4 (8,058 Views)