Re: computer specs

by dlarlQma

Original Post

computer specs

★★★ Apprentice

so this is what im planning on buying during black friday/cyber monday.

is this strong enough to play sims 3 on high settings?

Message 1 of 10 (779 Views)

@dlarlQma  Hey, I'd be happy to look over any specs you provide.  But I think you forgot the link to the computer.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 10 (759 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

oops. that's embarrassing 😳

here it is

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X3BBZf

Message 3 of 10 (738 Views)

@dlarlQma  Yes, that computer will run Sims 3 on ultra settings.  In fact, it's massive overkill for TS3, although your other games might benefit from the extra power.  When you do install TS3, be sure to use an outside tool to limit the in-game framerates to the refresh rate of your monitor.  For an AMD card, the first tool to try is RivaTuner Statistics Server, which is a free download and a very unintrusive app.

If you need help with this, feel free to ask.  But there's no point in doing it until you actually have the game installed and can test.

Message 4 of 10 (733 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

thank you. i'll be sure to post again once i get all of my items and start playing :D

Message 5 of 10 (729 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

i have changed a few things, will this still be a "massive overkills for TS3?"

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MxzNPn

Message 6 of 10 (683 Views)

@dlarlQma  Yes, it's still massive overkill, not that this is a bad thing.

More crucially though, did you notice the warning about potential incompatibilities between your motherboard's BIOS and your selected processor?  If you're not comfortable flashing a new BIOS onto the board yourself, and you don't have someone who could help you, this could absolutely be a serious issue.  It would be trivial for a computer store to handle, but it sounds like you're considering building on your own.

Also, the Corsair power supply is better than the EVGA, so that's definitely a good upgrade, especially for the same price.

Message 7 of 10 (677 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

i was also worried about that and this was the answer that i got when i asked reddit

"B450 boards were made for ryzen 2000 chips. The MAX means that it comes ready for ryzen 3000. The message is just a generic warming that pcpp puts out when it sees a B450 board and a 3000 series CPU"

i'm guessing that means i'm fine

Message 8 of 10 (668 Views)

@dlarlQma  You might be; I haven't done the research on BIOS for AMD boards in general.  All I'm saying is, be careful and do your homework before buying, because if there is an issue while you're building the computer, you'll need to fix it yourself.

Message 9 of 10 (652 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

thank you :D

Message 10 of 10 (636 Views)