Restart Needed Trail?

by RickxAbsinthe43

Original Post

Re: city living trial

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I found a fix, that does not require reinstalling Origin or the Sims 4. Maybe someone else mentioned this before and I didn't see it but...

I went into "Application Settings" for Origin, and scrolled down to "Client update." Then I selected "automatic game updates, and now the free trial is downloading.

CM - Marking this as the solution, as this seems to have helped several players

Message 21 of 40 (2,851 Views)

★★ Novice

To anyone still looking for a solution, this is what worked for me.

Turns out the City Living trial doesn't work with Sims 4 Legacy Edition.

I found that info on this page: https://simscommunity.info/2021/04/30/the-sims-4-city-living-is-free-for-trial-this-weekend/

So I've uninstalled Sims 4 completely, and now I'm re-installing without Legacy Edition (which my computer doesn't need anyway).

So far so good - it's actually downloading the City Living trial now, which it never even started to do before. 

I'll update once it's finished downloading to confirm it's fully working.

Hope this helps! I've spent the morning trying to get this to work - I wish they'd have made this info more accessible.

Message 22 of 40 (1,041 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@amoeller87 This worked perfectly! Updating this option and then restarting Origin automatically starts the download. Thanks so much!!
Message 23 of 40 (1,034 Views)

★ Guide

@zoej818 no problem, glad to help. Hopefully plenty of people see this fix, so they won't spend so much time reinstalling everything.

Message 24 of 40 (1,030 Views)

Restart Needed Trail?

★ Guide

Is this normal? This isn't a trial save and I own all of the packs, never done this trial thing. This save was created prior to the latest update and it occurs on every save prior to the update. Restarting does nothing, and I've tried the usual repairing game and removing mods. Still have this on all my older saves. I'm sorry if it's something obvious.

Message 25 of 40 (914 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@amoeller87 it did not work Frown
Message 26 of 40 (997 Views)

Re: Restart Needed Trail?

Champion (Retired)

@RickxAbsinthe43 

If you own city Living you can ignore this. Your save will load.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 27 of 40 (906 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Did you try to restart Origin after you changed the client settings? That worked for me! After restarting Origin the trial finally started downloading. 

Message 28 of 40 (990 Views)

★ Guide
@jpkarlsen Now the weirdest thing is happening though. My tray files all show a llamacorn and "can't locate item"
Message 29 of 40 (903 Views)

★ Guide
@RickxAbsinthe43 Update: Turns out some of my tray items weren't in my folder for some reason. I don't know how that happened but that appears to be working again.
Message 30 of 40 (899 Views)