by AlyaSerpens

Original Post

Accepted Solution

ceiling shows through roof

★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except Cats & Dogs
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? No fix.
What happens when the bug occurs? The ceiling under two crossed gabled roofs shows thru as one square in each corner. Like the roofs are down too low in the corners to cover the ceiling below. If you delete the ceiling then you get square holes in the roof. It happened after the big patch came out.
What do you expect to see? A finished roof.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

I've attached a picture of it in my game.

Message 1 of 5 (543 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: ceiling shows through roof

Hero (Retired)

@AlyaSerpens Ah, I downloaded it, and I can see what's causing the issue now.  You do not have the two roofs sized to actually cover the entire width of the building.  Rather, they have a gap of 1 tile width on each side, and the eaves have been pulled across to cover that area.  In such a case, the ceiling can indeed show through an eave when the roof height is low.  All you need to do to fix this is to pull the eaves back and extend the roof itself to cover the structure.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (537 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@AlyaSerpens I have not been able to reproduce your issue in my game, even with a structure as similar to yours as I could get based upon your picture.  It appears more like objects intersecting the roofs in your image.  Could you possibly take a few more screenshots, at least one that shows the interior and one of the exterior structure with walls down?  Also, if you're willing to upload the build to the Gallery (call it something like "Test Roof Bug"), I could download it and take a closer look.

Message 2 of 5 (525 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I have uploaded the lot + took two more pix.  It's called *Roof Debug* --- with the asterisks. 

I'm now wondering if it's because of the way I did the foundation, since it's a garage it wouldn't do to have the garage doors up on the foundation and not at ground level.  I use the move objects cheat a lot.  

The house was first built by JSTwinkle, my sister and she shared.  So it was a save from about 6 patches and maybe a pack or two before.  I just now started building the garage so that was with an up-to-date game, but not with the Cats & Dogs EP.   

Thanks for looking into this for us.

Message 3 of 5 (507 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@AlyaSerpens Ah, I downloaded it, and I can see what's causing the issue now.  You do not have the two roofs sized to actually cover the entire width of the building.  Rather, they have a gap of 1 tile width on each side, and the eaves have been pulled across to cover that area.  In such a case, the ceiling can indeed show through an eave when the roof height is low.  All you need to do to fix this is to pull the eaves back and extend the roof itself to cover the structure.

Message 4 of 5 (538 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Oh boy, I feel dumb now.  LOL  I expected that the roof once pulled over the ceiling was the same width as the building, but it wasn't.  The eves made it look as though it was.  Thank you so much for pointing that out to me.  I knew the roofs were different, but hadn't expected that.  Silly me  >.<

Message 5 of 5 (480 Views)