can you play sims off an external hardrive

by JessErlandsen

Original Post

Accepted Solution

can you play sims off an external hardrive

★★★ Newbie

I was wondering if you could play it off an external hardrive to free up space on my laptop

Message 1 of 4 (273 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: can you play sims off an external hardrive

The best way is to reinstall the game on the external drive. But before you do anything, make a backup, just to be sure you won't lose your current saves and such:
sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/backups/

After that, you can uninstall the game by right-clicking the game in Origin and choosing 'Uninstall'.

Now to install the game again you would need to change the path of the installation. 

Go to Origin, then select Origin in the top menu, choose Application Settings.
Then go to the tab Installs & Saves. Change the path of the Game Library Location and the Legacy Game Installers to go to the external drive. 

Then install the game on there. 

If it takes a long time to install the game because you don't have the fastest internet you could move the game folders as mentioned in Origin over to the new location. 
But I wouldn't suggest doing this as it might cause issues. 

Merry Christmas!

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (249 Views)

All Replies

You can, I have played it that way for some years. :eahigh_file:

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 2 of 4 (267 Views)

★★★ Newbie

ok thanks, how do you do it?

Message 3 of 4 (254 Views)

The best way is to reinstall the game on the external drive. But before you do anything, make a backup, just to be sure you won't lose your current saves and such:
sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/backups/

After that, you can uninstall the game by right-clicking the game in Origin and choosing 'Uninstall'.

Now to install the game again you would need to change the path of the installation. 

Go to Origin, then select Origin in the top menu, choose Application Settings.
Then go to the tab Installs & Saves. Change the path of the Game Library Location and the Legacy Game Installers to go to the external drive. 

Then install the game on there. 

If it takes a long time to install the game because you don't have the fastest internet you could move the game folders as mentioned in Origin over to the new location. 
But I wouldn't suggest doing this as it might cause issues. 

Merry Christmas!

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 4 of 4 (250 Views)