Re: can't stop my sim from apple bobbing and when pressing the arrow nothing hap

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

can't stop my sim from apple bobbing and when pressing the arrow nothing happens

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

ok, my sim won't stop doing this act. I click on the action Que there is a red X over it he doesn't stop doing it.  i even have  things going FF and he doesn't stop. The square box next to wishes it is blank, when i click on the arrow to get me to access my sim wishes nothing happens. I have tried the following

repair sims

reinstall orgin and reinstall sims 3

cleared the cache

a person on here told me to press ctrl,shift C at the same time and type something in a box. well I did that and no box appeared on screen

I have the base game of sims 3 and this happens when i am running the exp pack "into the future"

I been having problems with this exp pack. when i have lets say, the university pack installed no issues. 

when i start the game into the future start up screen is loading. I have all the exp packs and all of them are checked. can someone please help me!

Message 1 of 6 (426 Views)

Re: can't stop my sim from apple bobbing and when pressing the arrow nothing hap

@SirPoet73  The command you want to run is "resetsim firstname lastname" without quotes; this would transport your sim back home and clear his action queue.  If crtl-shift-C isn't bringing up the cheat box (a medium blue space to type in the upper left corner of your screen), then maybe you have some other app running in the background that's overriding your keyboard settings.  Or maybe one of your keys isn't working; try the other crtl or shift key, and test all of them when you're not playing TS3.

However, from your description, it sounds like this sim might be corrupt.  You may be able to fix him, but there's no guarantee.  The first thing to try is usually deleting the five cache files in your TS3 game folder in Documents.  You mentioned clearing the cache, but there are other cache files from both TS3 and Origin as well.  So just in case you didn't get them, the relevant files are:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

If that doesn't (or didn't) help, before you do anything else, you should rename your backup copy of this save so that it doesn't get overwritten later.  Inside Saves (in your game folder), you'll see a folder labeled yoursavename.sims3.backup.  So if your save is called SunsetValley, the folder for the save that you load will be SunsetValley.sims3, and the backup will be SunsetValley.sims3.backup.  Rename the backup and delete the extension (i.e. SunestValley1.sims3), and it will be available to load from the Main Menu.  More importantly, it won't get overwritten if you save your progress in the main save.

The next step to try is evicting and replacing the household in Edit Town.  Even more thorough is evicting the household, saving their house to the bin, bulldozing the lot, replacing the house, and moving the sims back in.  If you do all this in one Edit Town session, without saving the sims themselves to the bin.  After you do all this, it's a good idea to use "save as" to rename the save (so you're creating a fresh save file instead of overwriting the existing one), quit (without saving, as a separate step) to desktop, delete your cache files again, and reload to see whether it made a difference.

If this doesn't help, try the same technique on the backup save that you renamed before.  Hopefully, it will be from earlier enough in the game that you can avoid the sim corruption you're seeing.  Even if the one sim is no longer stuck bobbing for apples, he still might be corrupt to some extent, and the reset of being evicted and moved back in will do a lot of good.

If none of this helps, pull your entire TS3 game folder out of Documents and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game again, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Quit at the Main Menu and then copy your Saves folder into the new game folder, delete the cache files in that new folder, and try the eviction process, again on the backup save.

By the way, your graphics card (from your earlier dxdiag) is reasonably strong, but not quite powerful enough to run all TS3 packs on the highest graphics settings.  When you added Into the Future, you might have just pushed it over the edge, and it might be struggling to keep up with the demands you're asking of it.  You can try turning down some options—water and high detail lots are the most demanding, and it's a good idea to keep those no higher than "mirrors only" and 2, respectively.  You might also want to see if it helps to turn off some of the weather patterns, particularly rain, snow, and hail.

But part of the problem is is the cumulative toll of all the packs running together.  If you wouldn't miss Into the Future, which is the third most demanding pack after Pets and Seasons, your game might run better if you just turned it off, or only played with it in saves that didn't have all the other EPs active.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (418 Views)

★★★ Novice
ok i did what you said now what it does, it loads and all of a sudden the screen flashes and the game quits which it didn't do it before. and i even made it so it wouldn't be a full screen.
Message 3 of 6 (408 Views)

@SirPoet73  Which step made your game stop loading?  And does this happen when you're loading your existing save, or before you even reach the Main Menu?

Right now, the best thing to do is to confirm that you can load a new save in a clean game folder.  Once you do that, you can start copying content into it from your old game folder.  If you happen to have custom content that your existing save needs to run properly, you'll need to add that to the new folder too.  Depending on what that content is—anything from certain mods to a store or custom world—I can tell you which files to move.

Message 4 of 6 (397 Views)

★★★ Novice
Ok, when I run the program and after that green bar fills up (under the title) into the future. The game I select the proper screen res with the full screen unchecked. This is when it crashes. Should I just do a repair of the game and do a clear cache of origin or just clear cache? Or just repair?
Message 5 of 6 (387 Views)

@SirPoet73  Depending on which graphics settings you change at the Main Menu, you may need to quit to desktop and launch the game again before trying to load a save.  Fullscreen/windowed switches should be fine, but maybe not the resolution.  (I'm not totally sure; it's been a while since I did this.)  Anyway, the best approach is to set all the graphics options the way you want them, quit, and reload.

If you still see crashes, try deleting your options.ini file.  You'll be back to default settings, but you can of course change them again, maybe this time with better results.

I doubt this issue has anything to do with Origin, but neither clearing its cache nor using it to run a game repair will hurt.  The repair process doesn't really do anything useful for in-game crashes.

How does a clean folder work for you, when you're trying to start a new save?  If a new save loads but your existing one doesn't anymore, that can be due to corruption in your old save, or it can be because of missing content.  That's why I asked if you had any installed mods/cc/worlds that the old save might need to load properly.  It's also possible that deactivating a pack can prevent a save from loading, but that's often hit or miss.  For example, any save that has seen Pets will almost certainly need that EP to be active in order to load, but removing Ambitions might not be an issue, unless you're playing in Twinbrook or have a sim that was in the middle of inventing or sculpting when you last saved.

Message 6 of 6 (382 Views)