Wireless keyboard and mouse (MK270) not working properly with Sims 3

by AmyPhoenix13

Original Post

Wireless keyboard and mouse (MK270) not working properly with Sims 3

★★ Novice

So when I'm playing Sims 3, fullscreen or windowed, the mouse becomes laggy and the keyboard takes forever to respond, but with every other program both work fine. The game is new as is the PC and the keyboard and mouse. Does anyone know how I can fix this issue as it's driving me crazy?

Message 1 of 8 (648 Views)

Re: Wireless keyboard and mouse (MK270) not working properly with Sims 3

@AmyPhoenix13  Can you borrow a keyboard and mouse from someone to test, just to make sure it is in fact an issue with your specific k+m?  Sims 3 is ten years old and may not get along with whatever new driver is being used, but there could also be some other issue with the game.

It would also be helpful to see a dxdiag on this computer.  You can attach one directly to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 8 (631 Views)

★★ Novice
  • Here is the dxdiag file.
  • I'll see if I can borrow a different keyboard/mouse and try them to see if the issue still persists.
Message 3 of 8 (560 Views)

@AmyPhoenix13  It's worth testing with only one monitor hooked up at a time as well.  Yours are two different resolutions and are set at two different refresh levels, either of which could cause in-game lag.  The fact that one uses DisplayPort and the other HDMI usually doesn't matter, but if you play on the QHD monitor, test it with a DP connection as well, if  possible.

Please also check your framerates while playing.  Bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without quotes.  A number will appear in the upper right corner, and it should never go above the refresh rate of whichever monitor is displaying the game.  ("fps off" makes it go away.)   If you have consistently high or wildly fluctuating fps, there are a few tools you can use to cap it manually.  Let me know if you need help with this.

Message 4 of 8 (548 Views)

★★ Novice

My FPS seems to hover around 200 - 400, looking at the number it shows, but fluctuates a lot as can down to less than 10.

Message 5 of 8 (520 Views)

@AmyPhoenix13  That's way too high, and not good for your card.  But it's usually easy enough to cap fps.  The first tool to try is the built-in Nvidia Control Panel, although it doesn't always work (and never works in windowed mode).  Setting v-sync to On or Adaptive should cap framerates at the refresh rate of your monitor.  If CP doesn't work, you can try Nvidia Inspector (free download).  Inspector lets you manually specify the fps cap, which will be 70 if you're using the QHD monitor.  60 would be fine too.  Instructions for using both tools are in this post, under the spoilers:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16540301/#Comment_16540301

Message 6 of 8 (510 Views)

★★ Novice

I used the GeForce experience app and had it optimise the game, so the frame rates no longer go above 200, but still seem to drop low very often, to around 30. But it's still random about responding to the keyboard, though the mouse movement is now very smooth.

Message 7 of 8 (488 Views)

@AmyPhoenix13  GFE's optimization has never worked particularly well with Sims 3, and I'd always prefer to manually apply the changes in the Control Panel or another tool instead.  But if it's working for you, fine; just keep in mind that it might cause problems later.  Framerate drops are not uncommon in TS3, although it's difficult to tell whether yours are just the game being difficult or something about yoru GFE settings.

Since the keyboard isn't responding consistently, I'd still test with a wired model if you can borrow one.

Message 8 of 8 (478 Views)