Re: Windows & Origin updates are breaking my game?

by jonesyKS

Original Post

Windows & Origin updates are breaking my game?

★★★ Novice

Hello,

I've been having this issue on and off for several months now, sometimes I get frustrated and just quit altogether for a couple of weeks before trying my game again. 

I play with a lot of CC hair and objects, no mods. And I have tested everything and the CC does not seem to be my issue. I am fully patched and I recently bought a new gaming laptop with all the works (Acer Nitro 5 w/an intel i5 core 9th gen). I even added an extra drive so that my sims could run on the C drive by itself. So when my game does run, it's amazing, loading screen times don't last forever anymore!

I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card (the game wouldn't recognize it at first, but after following the directions of a YouTube video that was fixed. 

I also use CC Cleaner and empty my cache files after every use. 

I have begun to notice a pattern that began before I bought my new laptop and only played on a desk top. Every time there is a Windows or Origin update my game just will not open. I press play in Origin and it grays the button out for a couple of minutes then pops back up like I had never pressed it before. If my launcher does pop up it crashes immediately once I press play.

I will admit that I am not the best at computers but I can normally figure it out by using the forums, YouTube, or blogs. This issue is driving me insane, and I'm hoping someone will be able to help. 

I have attached a DiDiag file to see if that is of any help. Thank you in advance for any help or advice given.

Message 1 of 3 (352 Views)

@jonesyKS  What you describe definitely shouldn't be happening.  I don't use Origin much for Sims 3, so I couldn't say what happens to the game when Origin updates.  But it's not normal for people to be temporarily unable to play.

Is the game working now?  Some of the Sims 3 errors in your dxdiag look like they're related to the driver for your graphics card; others reference a .dll from the game's program files.  But given the pattern, the GPU driver might have nothing to do with this.

The first thing I'd try, the next time this happens, is repairing the game in Origin: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 3 icon, and select Repair.  Before you do this though, be sure to save copies of graphicscards.sgr and graphicsrules.sgr, since the repair will restore these to their original versions, leaving your graphics card unrecognized again.  While it's not necessarily a big deal to have an unrecognized card, it sounds like you'd prefer to have yours in the database, and it's a lot easier to put back your edited copies than to tweak the originals again.

If that doesn't help, you can try clearing Origin's cache, and if that doesn't help either, uninstalling Origin (not Sims 3, just Origin) "the hard way" and reinstalling.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (323 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you for such a quick reply!

It was not running at the time of my post so I did try to uninstall origin and there was no change (I've used the repair button each time it stops, sometimes it does help but more often than not it doesn't do much). I saved a copy of my game and re-downloaded the game itself. I'm going to try clearing out Origin now and if that doesn't work I'll do the manual uninstall. If not I'll be back with an updated dxdiag, Fingers crossed and thank you again!

Message 3 of 3 (297 Views)