Windows 10 Update - Sims 4

by GamerGirl378

Original Post

Windows 10 Update - Sims 4

★★★ Novice

I have a computer that doesn't have very much space (it's a small computer). I can use an external hard drive to save lots of different types of things on my computer (since the initial amount of storage on my computer is low). I am currently running Windows 8.1 on my laptop and am planning on upgrading to Windows 10 this year while it is still free. One of my reasons for wanting to do this is because if I download apps from the Windows App Store I can chose where they go (which is something that I have tried to do, but how found impossible to do in Windows 8.1); which means that I can store my apps on an external hard drive rather than on my laptop (again since the initial amount of storage space is low) - which I personally think is a great option! However... One problem does arise. Because my laptop doesn't have very much space, Sims 4 is taking up a lot of the small amount of space that I do have (it is at the top of the list of programs that take up the most space on my laptop). I do have most of the stuff saved from Sims 4 (and all other important things on my computer that I can save onto an external hard drive) onto an external hard drive and it won't allow me to play the game unless I have the external hard drive plugged in. I'm just wondering if I would loose any of my data if I copy all of my saves and sims files onto the hard drive and temporarily uninstall the Sims 4? Would that cause me to loose the expansion packs or other things I have download for the sims? If I my favorite creations are saved to the cloud via the gallery, will I still be able to access all of them when I update? I love the Sims 4 it is by far my favorite game, so I want to make sure that all of my data (or at least all of the most important things) are safe/saved before I upgrade to Windows 10. Because I don't think I would want to upgrade to Windows 10 if that means losing everything I have worked on in the Sims 4.

Message 1 of 2 (227 Views)

Re: Windows 10 Update - Sims 4

What you want to do is basically an back up. You can read all about them over here:
http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/backups/

Also you can change the location the game is installed to:
Open Origin, go to Origin in the top menu, and choose application settings, then go to advanced. 

The save files might still end up in your documents and setting, not sure how to change that. 

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 2 of 2 (219 Views)