Re: Will this laptop run sims smoothly

by amylouisesxo

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Will this laptop run sims smoothly

★★ Novice

Hi, looking to buy a new laptop but really not good with this! I've seen a laptop for £400 around the budget I have to spend. I've posted the specs below, thank you in advance! Standard smile if anyone could also give me some advice on which game settings would be best to for these specs to get the best game play. 

CPU, Memory and Operating System:

• Intel Core i5 8250U processor.
  • Quad core processor.
  • 1.6GHz processor speed with a burst speed of 3.4GHz.
  • 8GB RAM DDR4.
  • 1TB HDD storage.
  • Hard drive speed 5400RPM.
  • Microsoft Windows 10.

Display features:

• 15.6 inch screen.
  • High definition display.
  • Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.
  • 14 ms response time.
  • Refresh rate60Hz.
  • 110 degree viewing angle.

DVD optical drives:

• Disc drive not included.

Graphics:

• UHD Graphics 620 graphics card
Message 1 of 8 (10,411 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@amylouisesxo  It's not a bad choice, but you can do better for £400.  That laptop has a Radeon Vega 6, which is weaker than a Radeon Vega 8.  (AMD's naming strategy isn't great, but this one is easy.)

On the other hand, this laptop does have a Vega 8, to go with its stronger processor.  (The specs don't say so, but a Ryzen 3500U comes with a Vega 8.)  It has the same 8 GB RAM, and the same 256 GB solid state drive.  That's not a lot of storage, but it's more than enough for Sims 4, all its packs, and your saves, builds, etc.  The screen is the same 15" and 1920x1080, and it's an IPS-type, which is the highest quality in terms of color and viewing angle.  It's not a touchscreen, but that's pretty hard to find for a reasonable price in a laptop that can also run games.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a515-43-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-lapto...

I don't know what the upper limit of your budget is, but just so you have some idea of what's out there, this £500 option would be a significant upgrade.  Its dedicated graphics card could handle ultra graphics settings, albeit just barely.  Its processor is a bit weaker than the one above (though stronger than the one you found), but still good enough for Sims 4.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-rx-560x-gaming...

There would normally be laptops in between these two in price ones that had entry-level dedicated graphics cards with performance between the levels of the two I linked.  But I checked several different U.K. sites, and the cheapest options I could find in that category are £480, and at that price, it would be better to spend the extra £20 and get a significantly better laptop.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 7 of 8 (10,327 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

I think it will run on your system, Here is an example of a similar system running the game: 

_________________________________________________________________________________

▪Did you find my post useful? Please grant + XP✔
▪Did my post solve your issue/answer your question? Please accept as solution✔

EA Champion

I'm simply a Volunteer, and do not work for EA
Message 2 of 8 (10,401 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi thank you so much Standard smile

Message 3 of 8 (10,394 Views)

@amylouisesxo  That laptop will run the game on medium settings, but realistically no higher unless you really only want to play the base game and maybe a few early packs.  It's not a bad choice for its price, although as far as integrated graphics cards go, you'd do better with an AMD Radeon R8 than an Intel 620.

@XTRA-Larsiano  The newer expansion packs for Sims 4 raise the demands significantly from the base game, and packs are always being released (one came out last week).  So please be careful basing a recommendation on a video that's three years old and wouldn't have taken any of those newer packs into account.

Message 4 of 8 (10,371 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you for replying, I have kept searching and found another one if you wouldnt mind letting me know if this one is better? Really appreciated. I dont know how realistic I am being with the graphics I want for the price I can pay haha I just want a nice sharper brighter image than my current laptop which I think is intel graphics 420. 

I keep up to date with most of the expansions

Again massive thanks!! 

• AMD Ryzen 3 3300U processor.
  • Quad core processor.
  • 2.1GHz processor speed.
  • 8GB RAM DDR4.
  • 256GB SSD storage.
  • Microsoft Windows 10.

Display features:

• 15.6 inch screen.
  • Full HD Display.
  • Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels.
  • Touchscreen.

DVD optical drives:

• Disc drive not included.

Graphics:

• AMD Vega 6 graphics card.
  • Shared graphics card
Message 5 of 8 (10,352 Views)

★★ Novice

The HP Pavilion - 15-cw1001na display panel is a "39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal FHD IPS BrightView micro-edge WLED-backlit touch screen (1920 x 1080)

Message 6 of 8 (10,348 Views)

[ Edited ]

@amylouisesxo  It's not a bad choice, but you can do better for £400.  That laptop has a Radeon Vega 6, which is weaker than a Radeon Vega 8.  (AMD's naming strategy isn't great, but this one is easy.)

On the other hand, this laptop does have a Vega 8, to go with its stronger processor.  (The specs don't say so, but a Ryzen 3500U comes with a Vega 8.)  It has the same 8 GB RAM, and the same 256 GB solid state drive.  That's not a lot of storage, but it's more than enough for Sims 4, all its packs, and your saves, builds, etc.  The screen is the same 15" and 1920x1080, and it's an IPS-type, which is the highest quality in terms of color and viewing angle.  It's not a touchscreen, but that's pretty hard to find for a reasonable price in a laptop that can also run games.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a515-43-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-lapto...

I don't know what the upper limit of your budget is, but just so you have some idea of what's out there, this £500 option would be a significant upgrade.  Its dedicated graphics card could handle ultra graphics settings, albeit just barely.  Its processor is a bit weaker than the one above (though stronger than the one you found), but still good enough for Sims 4.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-rx-560x-gaming...

There would normally be laptops in between these two in price ones that had entry-level dedicated graphics cards with performance between the levels of the two I linked.  But I checked several different U.K. sites, and the cheapest options I could find in that category are £480, and at that price, it would be better to spend the extra £20 and get a significantly better laptop.

Message 7 of 8 (10,328 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you so much will have a look into them :D I work for dixons carphone so will be able to get discount on both products haha I'm prepared to pay more for what I want so 500 is still within my budget honestly thank you my main concern like I said is graphics so think I'll go with the one that can run the game on ultra tbh even though settings would be a massive step up for me

Message 8 of 8 (10,315 Views)