Re: Will this laptop play sims 4 on medium?

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Will this laptop play sims 4 on medium?

★★★ Newbie
  • Operating system: Windows 10 Home
  • Processor: AMD Ryzenâ„¢ 5 4500U
  • Display: 15.6-inch diagonal FHD IPS micro-edge WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass)
  • Memory: 8 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB)
  • Internal storage: 256 GB PCIe® NVMeâ„¢ M.2 SSD
  • Graphics: AMD Radeonâ„¢ Graphics

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Envy-15-6-Full-HD-X360-AMD-Ryzen-5-4500U-Radeon-Graphics-8GB-SDRAM-256...

I bought it and have a couple of days to return it.  I did not buy it to play games.  I bought it because my old laptop broke and needed a new one quickly for a class.  I tried playing on high settings and of course it began to overheat.  I have tried a little on medium settings and it does get kind of hot.  This computer is almost max budget.  I am hoping to keep it because I like the 2 in 1 functionality.

I also hope I can play sims 3 on medium or low settings.  I don't require the greatest viewing I guess.  I can't think of how to say that.

Message 1 of 2 (236 Views)

Re: Will this laptop play sims 4 on medium?

@alovingmommyof3  The hardware in this laptop is capable of running Sims 4 on medium or medium-high settings.  AS you've seen though, overheating can be a serious issue with this category of laptop, i.e. 2-in-1 models without the cooling to support heavy workloads.  Does the laptop do better if you elevate it while you play?  You can put books or something similar under the corners.  And pointing a fan at it may help too.

I don't think you'll find any 2-in-1 models with similar hardware for anywhere near the same price.  At least, the five sites I checked quickly didn't have anything close to equal for a similar price.  So if you can get the heat under control, this is probably the best option.

If you'd like to monitor the internal temperatures to see whether they're truly an issue, there are plenty of free tools you can use.  I like hwinfo because it reports everything, but if you'd rather have a simpler app, GPU-Z works too.  And for either one, you can log a play session and send me the log to look over.  Let me know if you'd like to do this and need more specific instructions.  If you do send a log, please either leave it in .csv format, or if you're uploading it to OneDrive, zip it first.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (217 Views)