Re: Will this gaming laptop run sims 2, 3 and 4 on medium to high settings?

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Will this gaming laptop run sims 2, 3 and 4 on medium to high settings?

★★ Novice

Will this gaming laptop run sims 2, 3 and 4 on medium to high settings (I have all EPs, GPs, and most SPs) ? I am also wondering if the graphics card will work for sims 3? 

Here are the specs:

Intel Core i5-9300H processor

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650, 4 GB

16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

Let me know! Standard smile 

Message 1 of 7 (1,457 Views)

Accepted Solution

@girlysimmer23  That laptop should run both Sims 3 and Sims 4 on ultra graphics settings.  The Nvidia 1650 is actually the GPU we usually recommend to people who want to play either or both games but not anything more demanding.  Sims 2 doesn't take much power to run; the question is whether you can get the game to work properly on new hardware.  There's a forum here for that, and also a couple of third-party sites that help, but I've never gone through the process myself, so I'm not the person to ask.

For Sims 3, you'll need to take steps to manually cap your in-game framerates to the refresh rate of your monitor.  This is usually very simple but has to be done because the in-game fps limiter doesn't work.  Any CPU fast enough to handle ultra settings is also fast enough to generate extremely high fps while running TS3 and overwork itself in the process.  There's no point in trying until you have the game installed though.  (When you do, the simplest approach is enabling v-sync through the Nvidia Control Panel; let me know if you need help with this process.)

Sims 3 won't recognize your graphics card, but that's easy to fix as well, although not strictly necessary.  Feel free to ask here if you want help with that as well.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (1,425 Views)

All Replies

@girlysimmer23  That laptop should run both Sims 3 and Sims 4 on ultra graphics settings.  The Nvidia 1650 is actually the GPU we usually recommend to people who want to play either or both games but not anything more demanding.  Sims 2 doesn't take much power to run; the question is whether you can get the game to work properly on new hardware.  There's a forum here for that, and also a couple of third-party sites that help, but I've never gone through the process myself, so I'm not the person to ask.

For Sims 3, you'll need to take steps to manually cap your in-game framerates to the refresh rate of your monitor.  This is usually very simple but has to be done because the in-game fps limiter doesn't work.  Any CPU fast enough to handle ultra settings is also fast enough to generate extremely high fps while running TS3 and overwork itself in the process.  There's no point in trying until you have the game installed though.  (When you do, the simplest approach is enabling v-sync through the Nvidia Control Panel; let me know if you need help with this process.)

Sims 3 won't recognize your graphics card, but that's easy to fix as well, although not strictly necessary.  Feel free to ask here if you want help with that as well.

Message 2 of 7 (1,426 Views)

★★ Novice

great! thank you so much Standard smile) I will get it delievered in a couple of days and will let you know if I need any help Standard smile thanks for being so helpful.  I am just a bit worried if I will run into issues with the graphic card not being recognized.

Message 3 of 7 (1,393 Views)

@girlysimmer23  Technically, the graphics card not being recognized isn't a problem: the game runs fine either way.  If you do want to get the card recognized, I'd be happy to help.  Install Sims 3, launch it once, then go into Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3, and open the file labeled deviceconfig.log.  Copy the information between "Graphics device info" (about 25 lines down) and "Options" (about 40 lines down) and paste it here.  That will list your card's device ID, which needs to be added to the game's database, as well as confirm that Sims 3 is using the correct card.

Message 4 of 7 (1,370 Views)

★★ Novice
@girlysimmer23 I'm looking at a laptop with extremely similar specs to purchase for Sims 3. Does this laptop run the Sims 3 well, specifically the graphics card?
Message 5 of 7 (985 Views)

Hero
@mreneem1998 This is an old post so I don't know if the OP will see it, but GTX 1650 should run The Sims 3 well, provided that you at least use the fixes puzzlezaddict mentioned (limiting FPS and, optionally, getting the game to recognize the GPU).

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 6 of 7 (969 Views)

★★ Novice
@mate54 thank you!
Message 7 of 7 (960 Views)