Re: Why does Origin ask for a Disk.

by BillFlowerpot

Original Post

Why does Origin ask for a Disk.

★★★★★ Apprentice

Since the latest download of origin when I click on the logo I'm repeatedly asked to install a disk.  It first happened when I wanted to play The Sims3  I did put in the disk but it was of no use.  I then tried to open my origin account by the origin desktop icon and I was still asked for a disk.  (I also have Sims4 purchased from origin).  I was able to proceed by constantly clicking discontinue but it is a pain.  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 12 (1,127 Views)

@BillFlowerpot  Manually uninstall your newest expansion pack (by the date EA released it), and be sure to delete its registry entry as well, either yourself or with a tool like Piriform's CCleaner.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-3/manually-uninstalling-the-sims-3/

Then download the pack from Origin again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 12 (1,109 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I don't know if your solution will help in the long term (Thanks by the way).  Most of my expansion pack were pre-owned and I have not been able to register all of them.  If I had installed one of these recently I would say that, that was the cause of the problem but all was well until the latest origin update.  If I go through the process you suggest and then re-install those I can't register will the problem return?  I don't want to re-purchase the expansions nor do I want to downsize my game.  I know that it is disregarding your advice, however, as I am still able to get into my game I will leave things as they are.  By the By I have saved the links you have included just in case I need them.  Thanks again BillFlowerpot.

Message 3 of 12 (1,086 Views)

@BillFlowerpot  I didn't know your discs were used; since you (probably) can't register them in Origin, letting Origin control your install entirely is probably not the way to go.  (Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't.)

If your base game disc was manufactured prior to 2012, you could actually uninstall the game and then reinstall without Origin being involved at all.  The later discs require Origin to be installed and manage the TS3 install process, but the earlier ones don't.  If you're not sure how old your disc is, you can check the copyright date in the fine print on the back.  The newer discs also have an Origin logo and/or a banner across the top of the front of the case that says something about an online experience.

If you'd like instructions for installing without Origin, let me know.  It's a bit of a hassle, and you'd of course need disc copies of all your packs as well, but then you wouldn't need to deal with Origin at all.

Message 4 of 12 (1,078 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi, thank's for putting up with my whingeing.

I have no idea of what you have in mind, however, I did something similar some time ago.

I had window 10 removed and windows 8.1 put back (Dec 2017-Jan 2018).  At that time my computer was virgin, as it where.  I installed the Sims3 and the expansion/stuff packs I was using at the time and from the launch I had the latest updates.

When this was done I was able to play offline using the disc to authenticate my game.

I was also able to install all the worlds, venues and store goods (I have them on a back up memory stick) even with these I was able to play offline.  I don't remember if I was able to log in to communicate with friends or not. (I think that, as I did not want to upset the apple cart I didn't even try. I kept in touch through a search engine).

The down side to this was, I was not able play the Sims4.  This was not too much of a sacrifice as I preferred and still prefer the Sims3.

All was well until I saw a build I particularly liked on the exchange.  When I wanted to download the build, Origin installed the latest version, checked my computer's contents and also downloaded the Sims4.

I think it is a question of 'cake and eat it'.

Since then until the latest Origin update about 14 days ago I have had no problems. Indeed when reading these messages I have felt blessed in my Sim3.

If you have suggestions that will allow me to play the Sims3 without origin and also use my purchased store goods, upload/download creations/store goods and play the Sims4 I would like to know.

As I said in my earlier reply I don't want to re-purchase or downsize my game.  This would be my last ditch to get into my game. That is why I laid aside your earlier advice.

Otherwise I think its  a question of 'If it works why fix it'.

Your's BillFlowerpot

P.S. my base game is dated 2010.

Message 5 of 12 (1,066 Views)

@BillFlowerpot  If you don't want to play Sims 4 right now, there's no reason you need Origin on your computer at all.  You can download stuff from the Sims 3 Store and Exchange without it, just by logging into the store and going through your purchase history.  Store worlds can't be downloaded through Origin anyway.  Here's the short version of how do do a TS3 install without Origin:

Spoiler
  • Uninstall the game and clean your computer's registry of all TS3-related entries, either manually or with a tool like Piriform's CCleaner.
  • Uninstall Origin as well.
  • Download the Super Patch from here:  https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/175477/official-ea-download-link-for-the-sims-3-cumulati...
  • Take your computer completely offline, as in, turn off wifi and/or unplug the ethernet cable.
  • Install the base game only.  If the EA Download Manager asks to control your install, say no.  The EADM will do everything it can to "upgrade" itself to Origin.
  • When the base game is installed, run the Super Patch and test.
  • Install your packs in order.  When you're done, run the Super Patch again.
  • Test to make sure the game runs.
  • Go online and open the launcher.  Accept any updates it offers; these are not Origin-related.  (Also, it can't download Origin onto your computer for you.)
  • For the missing store content patches, please read this thread:  https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16341942/#Comment_16341942

Keeping Origin and TS4 as well may be more complicated.  To be honest, I don't know a lot about disc installs getting patched because my current install is via Steam.  I had a disc install on my old Mac, but there is no patch 1.69 for macOS.  I've been thinking about experimenting with this at some point, but that would require free time and access to a Windows install other than my own.

So you might need to experiment a bit.  I'll post the usual instructions for an all-disc install, no Origin involvement, below.  Some players who do this also have Origin on their computers, and their TS3 installs are left alone.  Others see Origin attempt to patch once, and cancel it.  Still others find that Origin tries to patch every time, and they end up uninstalling Origin entirely, but of course then you wouldn't be able to play TS4.  Whatever else you do, don't enable automatic updates in Origin.  It's an option in Application settings, and you can choose to turn it on or off when you first open Origin after installing.

So in your position, the way I'd approach this is to create a new Admin user account on your computer and install TS3 into that.  It may be that this extra step helps keep Origin away from your TS3 install.  You can experiment with just a base game install, so you don't have to go through the whole install process more than once.

Spoiler

These are the same instructions as above, except with the added complication of Origin:

• Uninstall the game and clean your computer's registry of all TS3-related entries, either manually or with a tool like Piriform's CCleaner.
  • Uninstall Origin as well, "the hard way": https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/
  • Create a new Admin account on your computer, and login to that.
  • Download the Super Patch from here:  https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/175477/official-ea-download-link-for-the-sims-3-cumulati...
  • Take your computer completely offline, as in, turn off wifi and/or unplug the ethernet cable.
  • Install the base game only.  If the EA Download Manager asks to control your install, say no.  The EADM will do everything it can to "upgrade" itself to Origin.
  • When the base game is installed, run the Super Patch and test.
  • Log out of the new user account and into your normal one.  Install Origin, and tell it not to do auto updates.
  • Do a couple of cycles of shutting down your computer, logging into one user or the other, and opening Origin.  Watch the lower left corner to see if it tries to patch.

If Origin behaves itself, you can install the rest of your TS3 content, again in the new user account.

• Install your packs in order.  When you're done, run the Super Patch again.
  • Test to make sure the game runs.
  • Go online and open the launcher.  Accept any updates it offers; these are not Origin-related.  (Also, it can't download Origin onto your computer for you.)
  • For the missing store content patches, please read this thread:  https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16341942/#Comment_16341942

Once TS3 is up and running, you can download your store stuff without being signed into Origin or the launcher.  Personally, I wouldn't open Origin at all while in the user account you've set aside for TS3.

Finally, I think the issue with Origin patching might be that every time TS4 is patched, or maybe Origin itself, it does a check for game updates.  With Origin, it's supposed to remember that you've disabled auto updates, but maybe it resets your preferences, or maybe it ignores them.  Still, if you check the download manager in the lower left corner of the Origin window, you should see your games getting patched, and there will be a little X that you can click to cancel.

Message 6 of 12 (1,052 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi and thank's for you time.

I have taken a copy of this communication and the net address.  Should I feel it necessary to re-install my sims I will try this. However, I am not very good on the technical side of things and as I have said 'if it works why fix it', I am a dab hand at clicking the wrong button.  To do as you suggest I should also need more expert help at my end of the keyboard and mouse.

Yours BillFlowerpot.

Message 7 of 12 (1,044 Views)

★★★ Newbie

what if you downloaded Origin free after purchasing a video card.  Can i delete origin and reinstall or will i loose my free games? dd

Message 8 of 12 (850 Views)

@ddowers  Origin is always free; it's the games that cost money.  But any game your account owns stays in your account no matter how many times you uninstall and reinstall it or Origin.  You can also install it on multiple computers if you want, again for free.

Message 9 of 12 (825 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks. Why does origin ask me for a disk? What is it searching for?

Message 10 of 12 (814 Views)