Re: Why do I have to repair my game each time I play a savefile for a longer tim

by Lailantie

Original Post

Why do I have to repair my game each time I play a savefile for a longer time?

★★★★★ Apprentice

Each time I play generations, my game breaks at the 7th or 8th generation and I have to repair the files. My first one even broke unrepairable. Currently I'm at baby no. 50 in the 100 babies challenge and got the weirdests glitches. Like I can't plant plants on a hot summer day, as the game thinks it is too cold. I get a fire alarm but there's no fire except in the fireplace where it is supposed to be. The firefighters come, the sprinkler activates and all, but nothing is burned. My money tree dies even though it got cared for several times a day. And much more of this kind of stuff. What really makes me repair the game is when the default skin of my teenagers' faces is missing. This already happened twice. Just now I got the information that three files were downloaded, more than 1 GB.

I wonder if I am doing anything wrong or is this just what happens? Do I have too many buildings? Too many plants, too much details? I do use mods but it also happened in the beginning when I didn't have any mods at all. I play a normal game with normal lifespan and not more than 8 sims per household. Should I delete some save files or do "save as" more often instead of overwriting the old save each time?

Any tips or information highly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5 (231 Views)

Re: Why do I have to repair my game each time I play a savefile for a longer tim

Hero (Retired)

@Lailantie  Are you playing on a pc, mac, or console? If your playing on a pc do you use OneDrive?

Message 2 of 5 (190 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@roberta591I play on PC and yes, OneDrive is active.

*edit: I have that cloud symbol in the bottom right menu, where it says OneDrive is properly updated, all files are synchronized, and it wants me to do the first steps to make my personal "Tresor" (don't know what this is in English). So in a way it is active but I don't seem to "use" it?

Message 3 of 5 (179 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Lailantie If you enabled OneDrive after you played the game, OneDrive moves files from the user documents folder to a OneDrive folder to sync files. The Game is still using the user documents folder for game data. New and/or changed files are no longer available to the game. This may be causing your game to break. I recommend disabling OneDrive and see if the problem still happens. If you need OneDrive there is a way to exclude the user documents files from the OneDrive sync process. If you don't sync files there is no need to enable OneDrive. Microsoft wants you to use OneDrive. I keep getting a notice there is something wrong with my Microsoft account - I just ignore it. If you enable OneDrive BEFORE you play the game Windows will properly redirect game calls to the proper folder.

Message 4 of 5 (170 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@roberta591  Thanks for your reply! I checked my OneDrive data and found that there was nothing stored there. Just a pdf with the user manual and some default folders, but none of my documents or other user data were stored there. I also didn't configure OneDrive, it was just in the autostart of my PC. I turned it off so it won't start automatically so it won't have any job whatsoever anymore and I'll check if my games will run smoother. Thanks again!

Message 5 of 5 (161 Views)