While playing the Sims 4, my PC will suddenly shut off.

by JohnnyBlu84

Original Post

Accepted Solution

While playing the Sims 4, my PC will suddenly shut off.

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I've been having the same issue, this has been happening since the last update for me, I read about the vsync  settings but have not tried that yet. I cleaned out every area of my pc and used Core Temp to monitor my temps and they stay around 50c or lower when playing. 

I've never had the power down issue with any other games I played (fortnite. Apex Legands or Swords of Ditto) I have even streamed and pc worked fine.  

I'm including any information I can think of that could help with finding a solution.

Thank you

Update: I turned on vsync in the game and through amd catalyst control center, I also lowered the graphic settings down to low-medium and I can play longer, still the temp sits at around 50c as the high. 

Message 1 of 42 (1,841 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: While playing the Sims 4, my PC will suddenly shut off.

@JohnnyBlu84 

Large smile That is an unbelievable mistake. 

And yes, that would put down about any PSU under load, so that was most probably the culprit.

Good that you saw that.

Have fun gaming.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 35 of 42 (2,083 Views)

All Replies

Hero
@JohnnyBlu84 I split your post so you have your own thread. It's easier to troubleshoot issues like that if you have your own.

I assume there's no new graphics drivers than the one from 2016 ? Bit unsure for AMD as they seem to discontinue giving drivers for older cards.

You also have a few WindowsUpdateFailures in your DxDiag ? Could you make sure they all go through fine and Windows is all update ?

Does it power down completely or restart ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 42 (1,810 Views)

★ Apprentice
@crinrict Hello and thank you for your reply.

Yes it seems that AMD alerts me to new drivers but will not allow the new ones older then 2016.

I'm sorry but I don't understand WindowsUpdateFailures as every time I do windows update everything installs fine to my knowledge.

I forgot to mention that I do have a custom t-shirt on the sim I'm playing & I'm using testingcheats enabled if that could be a problem?

I'm on patch 1.51.77.1020 and this is when the issue has happened for me.

I'll try to think of anymore details to add to help.
Message 3 of 42 (1,793 Views)

Hero

Type Windows Update in the search bar and check if on that windows there's any updates you haven't done.

Don't think a T-shirt or the cheat should cause a shut-down.

That's a desktop computer, right ? Does it restart the comptuer or shut it down ? Any bluescreens at all ? Or is it just the game that shuts down ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 42 (1,786 Views)

★ Apprentice
@crinrict I just checked and all my updates have installed successfully, It is a desktop with a newer power supply that was put in about little over a year ago.

It causes a full system shut down and stays off until I power it back on.
No blue screens or error messages of any kind when I start the pc back up.

Thank you

Message 5 of 42 (1,766 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@JohnnyBlu84

Check if you can add at last 4 GB RAM memory to your computer.
Theoretically, the amount of RAM you have should be enough but just what type of GPU and card you have is "memory-consuming".
In many cases, the owners of a computer like yours have found that adding at least 4 GB of RAM allows them to play

I don't work for EA
Message 6 of 42 (1,752 Views)

★ Apprentice

@kreatora  thank you for your reply,  I was hoping I didn't have to consider updating components. But I'll start looking into that if nothing else works.

Message 7 of 42 (1,728 Views)

@JohnnyBlu84 

I can find any BSOD in your DxDiag.

Can you confirm that the PC is crashing without a BSOD?

If so the most likely explanation is a power problem.

Try to set Vsync, it will reduce the load on your GPU, but that would only be a workaround, the main problem would remain.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 8 of 42 (1,714 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@JohnnyBlu84Ah, I built computers since 2000 and a gamer. The first thing you can check is the power button when the computer is on press and hold it until it turns the computer off, When the computer turns off it should spring Back, if the power button is not all the way closed it could be accidently telling the computer to shut off when you play the game. Also since a new power supply was recently installed if it has modular connections make sure the all power connections to the power supply are secure and tight, also power connections to the motherboard need to be secure and tight. A 4 pin power connector that connects near the cpu must be connected or some motherboards will put a kill switch to the power to protect the CPU from damage. Also make sure if you have a dedicated video card that has power connectors make sure you add the special pci-e power connectors either 4 6 or 8.

If you have no idea you can always take it to the local computer shop and they will check out the system for you.

Always unplug your system when working on the inside of the pc from everything including power, monitor and eathernet lines.

Edit: I almost forgot check the case panel connectors on your motherboard to make sure though wires didn't slip out they can cause problems like that if not all the way in.

Edit: I fixed some missed words in my first sentence my keyboard is getting on and tends to skip keys sometimes.

Message 9 of 42 (1,694 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Sid1701d9 I'll look into the connections a bit more. I havn't had any power issues with any of my other games, so I still don't understand why Sims 4 is the only issue. Thank everyone, I'll check some stuff and try the game again and I'll update you all.
Message 10 of 42 (1,622 Views)