Re: What computer is best for the Sims 4 including packs, mods, and cc?

by p41g33

Original Post

Accepted Solution

What computer is best for the Sims 4 including packs, mods, and cc?

★★ Novice

So I’m looking to get a new computer and I want to make sure it has enough storage for the game. I usually get a lot of cc and mods and I plan on buying more expansion packs so I need to know if there’s any specific type of computer that can hold that without making the game too slow/laggy. Thanks!

Message 1 of 74 (34,153 Views)

Accepted Solution

@p41g33  That depends on your goal.  Do you want to get the most powerful gaming setup $1,500 can buy?  If so, something like this ($1,200 for the moment) would work well:

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ala273/p/N82E16883360238?Item=N82E16883360238

That would give you enough room in the budget for a high-quality monitor as well, and the computer could be upgraded in a few years if you decide you need a faster graphics card or more storage.

If you'd rather save money, you could in theory go as low as $700, although I'd suggest spending a little more to get a slightly better computer, for example something like this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/skytech-gaming-chronos-mini-gaming-desktop-intel-i5-10400f-16g-3200-mem...

In both cases, the computers are overkill for Sims 4, and even the second one would let you play on ultra graphics settings at a high resolution.  (More pixels means the game looks more crisp and clear, and the quality of the screen is mostly about brightness and color range.)  In fact, if you're sure Sims 4 is the only game you'll be playing, or at least the most demanding, then the second would be a better choice—you wouldn't see any benefit from the first one.

I haven't done any comparison shopping since I don't know whether you want a more powerful system or a cheaper one, or something in between.  If you'd like more examples in that category, let me know, and I'll take a look.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 10 of 74 (32,345 Views)

All Replies

@avalynn1206  There's no correct type exactly, other than that gaming computers are going to perform better than non-gaming ones.  Do you want a laptop or desktop?  Performance will be better in a desktop for any given category of hardware, and the computer will be more upgradable, although some people need the portability of a laptop.

If you let me know your budget and country, as well as any other details that matter to you, I can look for some good options.  Or if you'd prefer to shop yourself, just let me know whether you'd want a desktop or laptop, and I'll list what kind of hardware you'd want.

Message 2 of 74 (34,123 Views)

★★ Novice

I’d prefer to have a laptop and my budget is anything under $700 and I’m in the US. If you could tell me what kind of details I should be looking for in a laptop that’ll run good with the game or like how it all works then that’ll be great. 

Message 3 of 74 (34,114 Views)

@avalynn1206  Sorry for the delay in responding.  There aren't a lot of gaming laptops available for $700 or less right now, but if you're patient, you should be able to find something that works.  As an example, this one should run all current packs together on ultra graphics settings, with some room to spare to account for more demanding custom content.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1542057-REG/msi_gf63_thin_9scx_005_gf63_i5_9300h_8gb.html

The key here is the graphics card: an Nvidia 1650 can handle ultra settings, it's significantly faster than the previous generation's 1050, and it's significantly less expensive than the faster 1660 ti.  The processor is fine, as are all the processors that get paired with a 1650.  8 GB RAM is enough for Sims 4; even if 16 would be nice to have for multitasking, it's not strictly necessary.  A 256 GB hard drive is small but can still fit the entire game and 100 GB of cc, not that you'd want to wait that long for the game to load.

I saw this one too, with the same hardware except for a larger hard drive:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/574675577

It's $712, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

If you find something you like, feel free to link it for a second opinion.

Message 4 of 74 (34,071 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Can you recommend a pc please?

Message 5 of 74 (32,537 Views)

@sleekshari  Sure, but I need to know your budget and country, as well as any other details that matter to you.  For example do you want a laptop or desktop, do you need a monitor (and is that included in the budget), do you have other games you'd like to play or other data you'd like to store, etc.?

Message 6 of 74 (32,514 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

@puzzlezaddict Hey, I was wondering this same question I want a desktop strictly for playing sims 4. I live in the U.S my budget is probably around $1500 I do not have a monitor and don’t know anything about computers. I was the about getting the new IMac 24” but not if it doesn’t run good. Thanks!

Message 7 of 74 (32,383 Views)

@p41g33  If you want to talk Mac specs, it's actually better to post in the Mac tech section here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/bd-p/The-Sims-Mac

That's the place to discuss specifics like how this chip runs Sims 4, what graphics settings you might use, etc.

My more general take would be that if you like Macs or macOS in general and would prefer that to a Windows PC, then the base model iMac is a reasonable choice.  It's not nearly as powerful as a $1,500 gaming PC, but you don't need all that power just for Sims 4.  So a relatively small compromise in performance might not be a problem at all.

Message 8 of 74 (32,381 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you, but if I were to get a gaming desktop what would you suggest?

Message 9 of 74 (32,354 Views)

@p41g33  That depends on your goal.  Do you want to get the most powerful gaming setup $1,500 can buy?  If so, something like this ($1,200 for the moment) would work well:

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ala273/p/N82E16883360238?Item=N82E16883360238

That would give you enough room in the budget for a high-quality monitor as well, and the computer could be upgraded in a few years if you decide you need a faster graphics card or more storage.

If you'd rather save money, you could in theory go as low as $700, although I'd suggest spending a little more to get a slightly better computer, for example something like this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/skytech-gaming-chronos-mini-gaming-desktop-intel-i5-10400f-16g-3200-mem...

In both cases, the computers are overkill for Sims 4, and even the second one would let you play on ultra graphics settings at a high resolution.  (More pixels means the game looks more crisp and clear, and the quality of the screen is mostly about brightness and color range.)  In fact, if you're sure Sims 4 is the only game you'll be playing, or at least the most demanding, then the second would be a better choice—you wouldn't see any benefit from the first one.

I haven't done any comparison shopping since I don't know whether you want a more powerful system or a cheaper one, or something in between.  If you'd like more examples in that category, let me know, and I'll take a look.

Message 10 of 74 (32,346 Views)