What PC laptop is recommended for gaming?

by Sugarless22

Original Post

Accepted Solution

What PC laptop is recommended for gaming?

★★ Apprentice

Hello Fellow Gamers,

I thought it would be helpful to ask you this question, since gaming is part of your DNA. Which PC laptop brands and models are great for gaming. Sims 4 is my go to game. I have a large library of expansions for Sims. I am looking for large storage and fast speed. Maybe a budget of $500, I would even like suggestions that are out of my budget without going overboard. Let me know why certain models would be the right fit. Thanks you all in advance for the helpful suggestions you provide.

Sugarless22.  5/31/21

Message 1 of 8 (506 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: What PC laptop is recommended for gaming?

[ Edited ]

@Sugarless22 wrote:
How about explaining i5 and i7 in plain everyday language. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to offer your knowledge to help me.

Great question.  Um... I'm not sure there's a good answer to that.  Intel's naming conventions are a bit strange.

In general though, for each generation (9th-gen = ix-9xxx, 11th-gen = ix-11xxx), there are several different types of processors, not just desktop vs. laptop but laptop low-power vs. high-performance laptop.  Within each category, an i7 will be more powerful than an i5, which will be more powerful than an i3, but that doesn't necessarily hold across categories.  For example, a desktop i5 will significantly outperform a low-power laptop i7.  Additionally, different tasks benefit from different features, e.g. higher clock speeds vs. more cores, so direct comparisons get even more complicated.

Ultimately, what you need to know is, a new-ish i5 processor that doesn't have a Y in its model number is more than strong enough to run Sims 4.  (If you want to get a bit technical, the game can only use four CPU cores or threads, so you'd see diminishing returns above six.)  Beyond that, the important detail is the graphics card or chip, because that will be the limiting factor in determining how fast Sims 4 runs.  So for example, while an i7-10710U might be more powerful overall than an i5-1135G7 (I don't actually know; I'd have to look it up), the graphics chip in the latter is significantly faster, and that's what matters for gaming.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 8 (439 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @Sugarless22 the best thing to do is to take a look at the specs for the games that you wish to run and then look at the laptops available within the budget you are looking to spend: https://www.origin.com/irl/en-us/store/the-sims/the-sims-4

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 2 of 8 (490 Views)

@Sugarless22  Your post was moved to the Sims 4 section, since this is a game-specific question.

Finding a good laptop isn't really about brands: in the budget category, pretty much all brands have some good models and some that aren't as good.  It's more about the components used, plus your preferences for details like screen size and weight.

As for options, is this $500 U.S.?  If so, you can get a laptop that should be able to handle Sims 4 on medium-high graphics settings, even with all packs installed.  It's more difficult to find one with a lot of storage though: most laptops in this category have a single 256 GB solid state drive, enough for all your Sims 4 content but not particularly large.  Here are a few examples:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/773741305

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-inspiron-15-3000-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-3501-laptop...

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-pavilion-laptop-14t-dv000-touch-optional-1s961av-1

Performance should be about the same in all of them, based on the speed of their graphics chips.  For the HP, you might want to upgrade the screen to the first IPS option, but it's not strictly necessary.

If you do really need more storage, this one is $530 and is a bit slower than the ones above but should still be able to handle medium-high settings.  512 GB is enough storage for most people's needs.

https://www.newegg.com/acer-aspire-5-a515-44-r4m5/p/N82E16834316900

True gaming laptops, capable of running Sims 4 on ultra settings, are somewhat more expensive.  These are the cheapest options I found, with 256 GB and 512 GB storage, respectively:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/915598119

https://www.walmart.com/ip/574675577

In case you're wondering, EVOO is Walmart's in-house brand, made by a company that also supplies parts for some custom laptop sellers.

If you have more questions, or want to see slightly different options, feel free to ask.

Message 3 of 8 (461 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much for all the great info. How about explaining i5 and i7 in plain everyday language. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to offer your knowledge to help me.

Sincerely greatful,
Sugarless22. 5/31/21
Message 4 of 8 (453 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Sugarless22 wrote:
How about explaining i5 and i7 in plain everyday language. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to offer your knowledge to help me.

Great question.  Um... I'm not sure there's a good answer to that.  Intel's naming conventions are a bit strange.

In general though, for each generation (9th-gen = ix-9xxx, 11th-gen = ix-11xxx), there are several different types of processors, not just desktop vs. laptop but laptop low-power vs. high-performance laptop.  Within each category, an i7 will be more powerful than an i5, which will be more powerful than an i3, but that doesn't necessarily hold across categories.  For example, a desktop i5 will significantly outperform a low-power laptop i7.  Additionally, different tasks benefit from different features, e.g. higher clock speeds vs. more cores, so direct comparisons get even more complicated.

Ultimately, what you need to know is, a new-ish i5 processor that doesn't have a Y in its model number is more than strong enough to run Sims 4.  (If you want to get a bit technical, the game can only use four CPU cores or threads, so you'd see diminishing returns above six.)  Beyond that, the important detail is the graphics card or chip, because that will be the limiting factor in determining how fast Sims 4 runs.  So for example, while an i7-10710U might be more powerful overall than an i5-1135G7 (I don't actually know; I'd have to look it up), the graphics chip in the latter is significantly faster, and that's what matters for gaming.

Message 5 of 8 (440 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much, your knowledge and information has been of great value to choosing what fits my gaming needs for a PC. I would have never known where to begin without your help. Now I am able to make a informed decision.
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 thanks have a wonderful day,

Sugarless22. 6/1/21
Message 6 of 8 (382 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@EA_Darko Thanks for the link.
Message 7 of 8 (366 Views)

Community Manager

Happy to help @Sugarless22.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 8 of 8 (340 Views)