Weird lag in build/buy mode and sometimes in Live Mode too

by JeanVW

Original Post

Re: Weird lag in build/buy mode and sometimes in Live Mode too

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict wrote:

@Helithe  You could try step 5 here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/CURRENT-ISSUE-Incredibly-Low-FPS-when-connected-to-Int...

It seems to work for some people who have the same fps drop you've described.

Thanks for your help, reading the link you posted made me realise I'd been lax on updating my video card drivers when the notification had popped up last month, so I updated those and checked in game and the build mode lag has gone, So for me just updating video card drivers was enough to solve it.

I have tracked down new ethernet drivers for my motherboard too, the ones I currently have are from 2018 and there are some from 2020 available so I'll keep those in mind if I need them.

edit: after a few hours playing the lag in build/buy mode is back. I'll try updating my ethernet drivers.

Message 81 of 176 (1,218 Views)

★★ Guide

Please do try yes. I've noticed that since updating my Ethernet/LAN drivers (mine were from Intel, installed were from 2017 and the latest from 2020) the lag is gone. It's like 1 second lag, because it has to load everything from B/B mode, but then it's gone completely. I've tried this in 3/5 saves so far and so far so good.

Message 82 of 176 (1,177 Views)

@daydreamer263  This doesn't sound like exactly the same issue, although it coule be.  But lag has a variety of causes.  To cover a number of them at once, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 83 of 176 (1,162 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Hey everyone! 
so i went and updated my LAN drivers as @puzzlezaddict suggested, and so far so good! 
(I was running a 2015 driver so im hoping this will be the fix) 

I just need some more game time to 100% make sure the bug wont resurface! 

That being said, my game is still having some strange fps and lag drops in live mode only. Again I've messed with all my settings and nothing has helped! 

Message 84 of 176 (1,136 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Reading through the forum I seem to be having the same problem as some of the other simmers. Ill just randomly have awful fps drops! 

This wasn't happening the other day, just recently started to occur, especially when rotating my screen, and switching between sims.

Message 85 of 176 (1,133 Views)

@MadPeachyTV  Some fps drops are kind of inevitable, especially in certain circumstances, for example, having many sims on a lot or playing in certain San Myshuno apartments.  Fps will drop when you move the camera too, and then settle back where it should be.  Having more packs or using a lot of high poly (high resolution) custom content makes the game more demanding and will lower framerates overall, so while the game should still run fine overall, the hits to fps may be more obvious.

The questions are how dramatic your fps drops are, and when they happen.  It's not always easy to tell the difference between normal drops and something going wrong, although if you're seeing fps in the range of 15 or so, that definitely shouldn't happen.

Message 86 of 176 (1,092 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Interesting that it could be caused by Ethernet drivers, i'll give it a shot when i get the chance, admittedly i got completely burnt out on the game just trying to troubleshoot this thing.

If it is indeed caused by a problem with Ethernet drivers i wonder if it's some form of DRM, i know many games "phone-home" when certain things are clicked so it's possible.

Message 87 of 176 (1,047 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@JeanVWI'm trying to update my driver too cause i have I219-V from 2015 but I'm not sure what to pick on the Intel website. Do you have any link from where you downloaded yours? ^^ 

When i'm trying to update it refuses to do anything cause it says windows decided I already have the best pilote. :/

Managed to do it ! I'll try my game now Standard smile

EDIT: alright i updated my ethernet drivers but I still have the same issue. Whenever i join a new household : bad fps, have to quit in the map and reload the household to fix it. At this point it's a game issue, mostly knowing it doesn't happen when I have Eco disabled. :/

Thanks!

Message 88 of 176 (1,003 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

So ive been playing for around a steady week now (I've had some time of work to actually sit down and play)... no problems untill tonight. Again, the lag bug persist. I drop down to 5fps as soon as I open build mode, or swap back, and now its every-time I play. Im soooo so so frustrated at this point. I updated my Ethernet drivers 2 weeks ago as @puzzlezaddict  suggested, and everything worked perfectly! Untill tonight, so I have no idea why this keeps happening.

Anyone else still having this problem?!

Message 89 of 176 (938 Views)

@MadPeachyTV  I think I've seen one other report recently, but from someone with a laptop, where updating a LAN driver might not be feasible.  I don't think that person has responded yet though.

I hope this isn't the same issue as before, because the fix was such a relief to see.  It's certainly possible there's something else going on with your computer.  If you want to double-check for errors, please run another dxdiag and attach it to a post.

Message 90 of 176 (889 Views)