Re: Weird lag in build/buy mode and sometimes in Live Mode too

by JeanVW

Original Post

@MadPeachyTV  That's an interesting development.  Could you post a new dxdiag as well?  Even if there's nothing obvious, it would be useful information that the problem was gone and came back with the current update.

By the way, have you at any point uninstalled and reinstalled the game?  I know it's quite the project for a lot of people, especially those with slow internet.  But I'd be curious to know whether it helped anyone.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 111 of 176 (742 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict 

I have my dxdiag attached below Standard smile

And yes, I had the game un-installed since June, then I re-installed everything around the end of December and since then everything was running perfect, like better than perfect! 

Now the bug is back as of the latest update.

I was wondering if there was anything common among all of us and our dxdiags that u have noticed. Like are we all running Razer Software or have one of the same apps running in the background that could be causing the issue? Something like wallpaper engine, or anything else? 

Message 112 of 176 (735 Views)

@MadPeachyTV  I looked through the dxdiags originally and didn't find anything in common among the affected players, at least not anything that I thought could reasonably explain the issue.  For example, a lot of people use Razer accessories and the accompanying software, many more than have posted in this thread or reported a similar issue.  Plus, if the issue was some application like that, the clean boot recommended all the way back towards the beginning of the thread should have worked.

Having said that, in your case at least, it might be worth disabling your Razer software.  Of the ten Windows errors in your dxdiag, nine are from Game Manager Service.  While I can't tell from the dxdiag when exactly those errors happened, if they're occurring while you play Sims 4, they could well be contributing to the problem.

As for why the game behaved itself for a month and then started acting up again, perhaps the process of patching didn't go well, or the game is no longer playing nice with the rest of your system.  The fact that you uninstalled and reinstalled and got a few weeks of smooth play as a result is exactly why I wondered if anyone having the issue had tried a reinstall as troubleshooting.  It would be extremely interesting if reinstalling fixed the issue right up until the next patch.

Finally, it's worth asking about your antivirus program, that is if you have one.  The game's .exe has changed enough recently that a few antivirus programs now block it outright, and some are preventing it from writing to the Documents directory.  So another program might interfere enough to slow things down but not so much that the game can't open in the first place.  This is just my speculation; I don't have anything to back it up.  But it's easy to test by disabling the antivirus and a lot quicker than reinstalling.

Message 113 of 176 (733 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Were the 10 game manager errors as of today? Or the last few days? And i think for sure i might try without my razer software running. I will also try the antivirus thing too. Is there anyway to add the sims into the files so my antivirus knows its allowed?  I know last time i tried the clean boot aswell, nothing changed! This is so strange that it just resurfaced out of nowhere!  

Message 114 of 176 (731 Views)

@MadPeachyTV  Like I said, I can't tell when the errors happened; the dxdiag doesn't contain that information.  If you want to find out, check the Reliability Monitor: hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes, and you'll see a chart of errors and updates with a column for each day.  The timestamps on the chart aren't always completely accurate, so click "View technical details" for a given error to double-check.

You can certainly add TS4_x64.exe and Origin.exe to the exceptions list in your antivirus.  Some programs have additional settings that need to be changed as well, and increasingly they're using new terms and new layouts, so I can't really tell you where to look.  But there's something to be said for just opening each category and seeing what's there.

As for the clean boot, not all programs shut down these days, for various reasons.  Some make sense, like your antivirus should still be running unless you manually disable it.  Others are kind of ridiculous, for example an RGB program might still be running, and that's absolutely not necessary, plus those apps can definitely interfere with games.

One thing I should have thought to mention last night is that this patch introduced a feature where players with Razer Chroma can coordinate their RGB with their sims' moods, if they want.  Whether you've enabled this or not, it does mean that the relationship between Sims 4 and certain Razer services has changed, and perhaps that's causing some extra issues.  It wouldn't explain why you had this problem before, but this wouldn't be the first time seemingly the same issue had two discrete causes, even for the same player.

Message 115 of 176 (703 Views)

★★ Guide

@puzzlezaddictThank you for the response. I'll, of course provide a dxdiag from the time of writing. See the attachment.

I've also reinstalled my complete Windows system at a certain point, so I'm fairly certain it's not my system.

Ah well, as for summarizing what the issues are;

- What am I seeing?

I'm seeing frame drops, varying from 20 frames to as low as 10, when my game usually plays at 60 fps, stable (I've put V sync on in game and in NVCP).  Have had this for a while now.

The whole screen moves so slow, it's unreal. When I click the three dots in the right hand, it goes away, but it returns just as fast. You can describe it as going from 100 to 1. It goes from buttery smooth gameplay to stuttery, slow, unresponsive.

The framerates fluctuate from 60 to 12 at it's lowest. It doesn't really matter where I am ingame, it just happens. I've seen people write about the 3x speed and that having a possible effect, I can't say that for myself to be honest.

My most important computer specs are atm (also in Dxdiag);

-Videocard: Nvidia RTX 2060, 6GB

-CPU: i5 7600K, 3.8ghz (up to 4.2 turbo)

-RAM: 32GB

I am seeing a lot of Event Name: RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64, don't know what that means?

Anyway, thanks for your concern and I hope someone can fix this, because at this state, the game is unplayable, which is a shame, because I enjoy playing it.

Kind regards,

Jean

Message 116 of 176 (685 Views)

[ Edited ]

@JeanVW  Thanks for the summary and dxdiag; I'll flag this now and see if anyone has other ideas.

The RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64 error is Windows detecting a memory leak, or the beginnings of one; 64 means 64-bit.  It's not an uncommon error with Sims 4, and nothing to worry about under normal circumstances.  I guess it could be related to the fps issue, but we see those errors all the time, so unless you're seeing one every time you get an fps drop, you can probably ignore the errors.

Please also try disabling your antivirus program, at least long enough to test.  Although antivirus issues usually look different, it's worth experimenting.

@JeanVW and @MadPeachyTV  Going over your dxdiags again, the only thing that stands out is that you both have an Acer 75 Hz monitor connected via HDMI cable.  This shouldn't be a problem, and I'd expect more reports if this kind of setup caused any issues, since Acer is a popular manufacturer.  But @MadPeachyTV if you're interested in testing, you could unplug your second monitor (restart your computer afterwards) and see how the game runs with just the Asus.

Message 117 of 176 (665 Views)

★★ Guide
@puzzlezaddict I use Windows Defender as antivirus. Is there a way to disable that one, because it's so integrated...
Message 118 of 176 (647 Views)

@JeanVW  There's a way to disable it, but it's so common and normally so unintrusive that I wouldn't expect it to be causing the issue.  It's worth disabling Controlled Folder Access though, if it's on.

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/03/windows-10-defender-controlled-folder-access.html

This wasn't a reported issue back in the summer, but these days, Origin sometimes uses excessive CPU resources for no apparent reason.  It's easy to see this happening in the Task Manager, if you alt-tab to it during gameplay; putting Origin in offline mode fixes the problem.  This is kind of grasping at straws, but since nothing else so far has worked....

By the way, did I ever suggest playing in a new Windows user account?  It's a long shot, but creating a new account takes so little time, and you wouldn't need to redownload the game.

Message 119 of 176 (635 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Hey everyone, 

So I tried something. I went and completely uninstalled my razer software. Game Manager, and Synapse. (I hope I don't jinx this lol) but so far I've been ok! No lag since I went and did this! When I first experienced the issue back in June, I never tried uninstalling it, and I'm pretty sure even in my clean boot, Razer would still be running. So back then that might have been why it never made a difference.   

@puzzlezaddict Is anyone else willing to try this too? See if it helps at all??

Message 120 of 176 (577 Views)