Re: Weird lag in build/buy mode and sometimes in Live Mode too

by immerkiasu

Original Post

★★ Guide

@MadPeachyTV I've tried to reproduce the issue by numerous clicking the Build icon (and Live icon respectively) but I cannot seem to reproduce the issue (which is positive of course), though I'm staying careful in my optimistical behavior.

I do remember, however (I think I've read it somewhere, IDk really) that I turned certain features on in my NVidia Control Panel for TS4 specifically.

If you want, I can show my settings from there? (I believe I've put on Triple Buffering and the Hyper threading option).

I've put 

Texture filtering - Trilinair optimization ON

Thread optimization - ON

Triple buffering - ON

Idk if it will work for you, but I think since I've put those settings, the build/buy lag is not really there anymore.

(I've played for 2 hours now without it). 

Message 61 of 176 (1,673 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@JeanVW Tried your settings but I still have the same fps drops whenever i toggle build mode on a new household :/

Message 62 of 176 (1,660 Views)

★★ Guide

@oaana I've just tried playing a new household for an hour to see if I can recreate the problem, but no. My build/live modes now toggle seamlessly. 

For possible help, I'll post my complete NVCpanel settings below

It's worth mentioning that I've ran CCleaner, I've checked if I don't have updates.

Message 63 of 176 (1,645 Views)

★★ Guide

Lag is back for me too unfortunately. Played well for a while yesterday, but it's back again. This time from the START. 

This is getting so annoying and it makes me wanna quit playing the game and just go back to The Sims 3... Can't understand why the team hasn't looked into an issue like this by now. It makes the game unplayable imo.

Message 64 of 176 (1,599 Views)

[ Edited ]

@JeanVW @Gummingtons @MadPeachyTV @oaana and @DeMosterdsoep  I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner.  I've been swamped and haven't had time to properly troubleshoot, although I've been reading this and other threads and looking for anything useful.

On that note, someone posted in the low fps master thread (a bit different from this one, since it started out about a consistent low fps regardless of what players did in-game) posted that installing a 2020 Realtek LAN driver fixed their issue.  Read fix attempt 5 here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/CURRENT-ISSUE-Incredibly-Low-FPS-when-connected-to-Int...

Obviously, this only works if you have a Realtek LAN chip.  When uninstalling and reinstalling, be sure to take your computer offline, so Windows doesn't download what it thinks is a suitable driver before you have a chance to install the new one.  If you want to be extra careful, you should download the latest LAN driver from the manufacturer of your motherboard or laptop as well.  That way, if there's a problem with the newest driver offered by Realtek, you can install the other one instead.

Whether this works or not, please post back if you try it.  And if it does work for you, please post in that thread as well, so people affected by that issue know it's worth trying.  (And go give that person some XP for their hard work.  They deserve it.)

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 65 of 176 (1,558 Views)

★★ Guide

I have a Z170X Ultra Gaming motherboard and I looked it up, that one uses Intel LAN Drivers, the latest is from 2020, mine was older, so fingers crossed!

Message 66 of 176 (1,520 Views)

★★ Novice

This is happening to me as well since eco-lifestyle.

Specs: rtx 2080, i7 8750h, 32GB ram, 16GB vram. GPU drivers are up to date.

Happens whenever I open build mode and carries over to live mode for a few minutes before it stops.

Message 67 of 176 (1,507 Views)

★★ Guide

@immerkiasu have you tried the LAN thing yet? I've updated today (mine was from like 2017 apparently), though i have one from Intel.

Ive only played for like 20 minutes but usually that's enough to recreate the bug. 

Ive tried "forcing" it by clicking build/buy and live simultaneously. 

So far no slowdown. But I'll keep you posted! 

Message 68 of 176 (1,496 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

This has been happening to me for a while now, too. 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 SC

i5 5600K

32 GB Ram

Windows, Origin and NVIDIA drivers up-to-date

All I have running is Chrome

Repaired TS4 game client

Reinstalled game client to its own SSD

With mods, without mods, doesn't matter

Have all game packs, and the issue doesn't seem to be impacted by map - have reproduced issue in Oasis Springs, Strangerville, and Evergreen Harbor. 

The game is using a lot of power, but I'm not even hitting 40% of my CPU or memory with everything running, and only 20% of my GPU. 

Client consistently drops to 10-14 FPS in build/buy mode, when it normally runs at 60 FPS. 

Part of me thinks it must be something in-world going on that the game isn't cleaning up (kind of how you needed NRAAS in TS3 to clean up the game world or else it would crash your save), and my first impulse was to think it was the weather events, or maybe it's just the natural byproduct of having every pack installed (I don't use Build/Buy CC). If I leave it to sit in build/buy for a minute, my FPS will pick back up to 55-60, so I wonder if it's having to load or something? My graphics settings don't seem to impact the issue, but I have found that a quick way to stabilize the client is opening the game options. I turned off auto-reconnect and share usage data, as well as online notifications. 

I have a huge tray file, too (I have almost 800 uploads to the gallery, and more still unshared in my library) but I don't know if that's part of the issue or not. 

Message 69 of 176 (1,457 Views)

★★ Guide

@IslaRoses The game always has to load icons, etc. 

Have you tried the tip suggested by someone in the master thread of this issue? https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/CURRENT-ISSUE-Incredibly-Low-FPS-when-connected-to-Int...

I really think it has to do with that as well, as since updating my LAN drivers (though I have Intel, not Realtek) seemingly works too.

Message 70 of 176 (1,441 Views)