Re: Weird lag in build/buy mode and sometimes in Live Mode too

by Gummingtons

Original Post

★★★★ Apprentice

@Gummingtons i found the more i fast forwarded, the quicker the bug surfaced as well! 
I do agree that its strange the UI seems to reset it, but if it was a UI bug, more ppl would be experiencing it.

Message 21 of 176 (3,330 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I wonder if this has something to do with the game De-syncing/simulation lag? I know that when things lag out and sims stand still you could always open the menu and things would re-sync similar to this, but i haven't had simulation lag problems in ages.

Message 22 of 176 (3,320 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Thats true, but same here, its been a while since I’ve heard or experienced that bug. But again opening the menu would always reset it.
All together its just strange.

Message 23 of 176 (3,311 Views)

★★ Guide

reinstalling the graphics driver doesn't work for me (via DDU).

my problem is identical to @MadPeachyTV  even  with opening the menu resetting it.

Message 24 of 176 (3,269 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

This afternoon when I started playing, the bug started immediately as I went into build mode, and again as soon as I swapped into Live Mode. Usually it doesn't occur unless I've been playing for a while. Definitely starting to becoming annoying lol  

Message 25 of 176 (3,239 Views)

Okay, after a consult, I have more suggestions.

First of all, @Gummingtons please reinstall DirectX 9, for the sake of being thorough.  (I know Reshade is acting up, but why not cover your bases?)  You don't need to uninstall anything; just download the installer from Microsoft and run it.  Restart your computer afterwards.  And please test with Reshade disabled or removed.  If everything is fine, you can add it back later.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=8109

@MadPeachyTV  Are the Sims 4 crashes recent, and is there any pattern to them?  They might be unrelated—there are plenty of issues with the game right now—but let me know if there's something in common among them or if they appear to be related to the fps issues.

To you two and @JeanVW as well, from now on, please test in a clean user data folder, again just to be thorough.  You can move or rename the existing Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts, and a new one will spawn the next time you launch the game.  Don't add anything to it at this point.  When you're not testing, you can move or rename this folder and restore the old one, and your saves and content will once again be usable in-game.

(Also, it's easy to transfer any content you make in the new folder into the old folder, in case you want to save something from one of these tests.  If you're not sure how to do this, just ask.)

Please try a clean boot again, but this time, when you reboot, disable any other tasks that might be running.  Some apps don't get disabled in a clean boot, and this can be anything from MSI Afterburner or RivaTuner Statistics Server to an RGB lighting service.  To make sure nothing else is running, open the Task Manager and scroll through the list of processes looking for anything that doesn't belong to Windows.  If you're not sure what something is, feel free to ask.  Here are the clean boot instructions again:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

If this doesn't help, please try again, except disable all peripheral devices other than the minimum necessary to use your computer.

If this doesn't help either, the next step would be hardware monitoring, to see exactly what happens when fps drops.  I'll post instructions later if the above doesn't make a difference.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 26 of 176 (3,219 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I've re-installed dx9 and i'm giving it a go now (with a clean sims 4 install, no reshade or anything), i'll report in if it bugs out again.

I couldn't actually get the Sims 4 to work on a clean/diagnostic boot, it seems the origin DRM is a bit too restrictive (see attached screenshot), the internet works fine so i tried manually starting the origin web helper service and origin client service but that didn't help.

Message 27 of 176 (3,196 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I will try running the game in a clean user data folder and running a second clean boot on the clean user file report back. @puzzlezaddict Also my game was crashing previously to the most recent patch, but now (either than the lag for live to build mode) my game is running fine.

Message 28 of 176 (3,164 Views)

★★ Guide

I've tried this, but the issue unfortunately persists.

I've just played the game again after reinstalling, repairing via origin, removing my mods ( I have MCCC only), reinstalling drivers again via DDU and just installing the graphcis driver and physx. It's just NOT going away. Which frustrates me, because I can play games like Witcher 3 flawlessly. 

It's mostly when I click Build/Buy mode it lags, when I click the Options icon it'll go away, before returning when I click Build mode again. I think there must be something wrong with that. It's very frustrating.

I've added another dxdiag, as I just played the game. Maybe that makes a difference.

Message 29 of 176 (3,135 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

So I tried running the game in a clean user file, at first everything seemed fine, but after some gameplay, the lag persisted. @puzzlezaddict I did find that the more my game was fast forwarded (in 3x speed) the bug would surface sooner.

I'm going to try and see if a second clean boot with the clean user file makes a difference, and I'll let you know!

I can also run all my other games flawlessly, Overwatch and COD i can run on high to ultra no problem, so I agree it is frustrating that sims is the one having the lag problems.

Message 30 of 176 (3,110 Views)