Very bad lag in Sims 4 after changing graphics card

by TwiggyTheGiraffe

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Very bad lag in Sims 4 after changing graphics card

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hi c:

I've been playing Sims 4 for about 122 hours now and I love the game.  But unfortunately my video card died recently so I took it to Geek Squad to get it replaced.  Now that it's back and I have a new video card, the game lags VERY severely and the loading times are excessively long (about 2-10 minutes in length).  When the game finally does load in, everyone and everything in the lot experiences severe lag spikes that last for a couple of minutes before there are short periods of smoothness.  The lag spikes happen again whenever I move the camera or left click for an interaction.  This happens ad nauseam whenever I enter a new lot such as the Vet Clinic or a restaurant. Not using any mods/CC. The game also seems to make the rest of my PC run slower as well because I have Skype and Discord running in the background when I play and it causes those apps to lag severely as well.  I have already done the following to try and fix it:

-Ran the game in windowed mode. Didn't work.
-Turned v-sync on.  Crashed the game and made the game load slower when I rebooted it.
-Lowered the graphics quality. Didn't work and actually made the game load and run slower.
-Turned Origin off in-game.  Didn't work, but fixed the white screen error that prevented me from actually playing the game in the first place.
-Turned off online features. Didn't work.
-Turned off share user data. Didn't work.
-Ran the game in 32-bit mode. Didn't work and made the game run worse.
-Updated my drivers. Didn't work.

I thought ahead and attached a dxdiag file.  I would appreciate any and all help.  Please and thank you. c:

Message 1 of 5 (881 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Very bad lag in Sims 4 after changing graphics card

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I didn't even need to do that.  My brother found what was really wrong: There were still drivers from our old ATI video card left over inside our PC, so what he did was uninstall those and replace them with our new Nvidia drivers.  After he did this, most of the lag that was plaguing my Sims 4 game (and every other game on our PC as well) just went away.  The game now loads in after about a reasonable 90 seconds - 2 minutes, there's only a tiny bit of lag after the load finishes and very little more after that, and the game no longer takes an unreasonable amount of time to quit out of (and I no longer need to force quit out of it either).  So thanks for your help, but your assistance is no longer necessary.  We solved the issue on our own.  You can close this thread now.

View in thread

Message 5 of 5 (772 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

@TwiggyTheGiraffe 

Your Windows has not been updated for a long time. Try to run Windows Update manually. You may need to run it several times to get all updates.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 5 (838 Views)

★ Novice

OK, I updated my Windows 10 to 1903 but I don't notice anything different. The lag and long load times still persist. I have attached a second dxdiag with the new Win 10 information post-update. I should add that the game also takes a very long time to quit out of, sometimes forcing me to do a manual force quit.

Message 3 of 5 (816 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Please try to disconnect from the Internet and then run the game in offline mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 5 (805 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I didn't even need to do that.  My brother found what was really wrong: There were still drivers from our old ATI video card left over inside our PC, so what he did was uninstall those and replace them with our new Nvidia drivers.  After he did this, most of the lag that was plaguing my Sims 4 game (and every other game on our PC as well) just went away.  The game now loads in after about a reasonable 90 seconds - 2 minutes, there's only a tiny bit of lag after the load finishes and very little more after that, and the game no longer takes an unreasonable amount of time to quit out of (and I no longer need to force quit out of it either).  So thanks for your help, but your assistance is no longer necessary.  We solved the issue on our own.  You can close this thread now.

Message 5 of 5 (773 Views)