Re: Using an external harddrive to play, need help.

by jpkarlsen

Original Post

Using an external harddrive to play Sims 4, need help.

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I bought a 1TB external hard drive when I bought my new laptop a while back solely to play Sims 4 on since my laptop doesn't have the space to download it. It has worked fine for months. My boyfriend's brother took my hard drive to download some games on it for my bf. He said it wouldn't let him download the games, it was telling him there wasn't enough space. He gave it back and ever since it's been giving me problems. Every time I try to launch the Sims 4, it says "you are running on low available disk space and may encounter problems with your game under these conditions. Are you sure you want to launch the game?" I have tried many things, including deleting and reinstalling the game, which deleted all my progress. I have tried moving the game into the hard drive with the origin launcher. I have probably tried more, my brain just isn't thinking of it. My game crashes constantly if I try to play, and I don't know what else to do. The hard drive's properties say it has 66.7 GB of used space and 864 GB of free space. If you have any suggestions, it would appreciate it so much! I just want to play my game!                                   P.S. I'm not very technical so you may have to explain in detail or send tutorials if possible.

Message 1 of 6 (545 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Please post a DxDiag. https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
You can attach the txt file directly to your answer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 6 (532 Views)

★ Novice

Is this what you need? I don't have my hard drive connected, does that make a difference?

Message 3 of 6 (528 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Not really that is not the problem.

You do not have enough space available on your system drive for temporary files.

Also your PC is below minimum requirements for the game. But since it has worked it likely will again after you clear up some space.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 6 (517 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

But the external hard drive has plenty of space to play it

[CM edit - merged]

It worked fine on the external hard drive for months

Message 5 of 6 (515 Views)

Champion (Retired)

You still need room on your system drive for temporary files.

Message 6 of 6 (462 Views)