Update won’t go through

by STEPHIEFAB

Original Post

Accepted Solution

'Your Download has paused.' Origin won't update game

★★ Novice

"Your download has paused- Origin needs to download files and is waiting permission....etc"

No Windows permission window ever pops up to give permission.

Day 4 of trying to fix this issue with the help of google. seems to be a common issue - none of the fixes suggested by other users seems to work for me.

Hoping for guidance?

My Origin Report ID is: 10d950a9b00d0aa8

Message 27 of 42 (2,110 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: 'Your Download has paused.' Origin won't update game

@daray636  Clear Origin's cache:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

Reboot, then before you open Origin, hit Windows key-R and enter "services.msc" without quotes.  Scroll to where Origin Client Service and Origin Web Helper Service are listed, and for each one, double-click, select "Disabled" under Startup Type, and click Apply.

In Origin, right-click on the Sims 4 icon in your game library and select Repair, and try to update once it's finished.

If the above doesn't work, clear your cache again, then uninstall Origin only (not your games) "the hard way" and reinstall.  Check Windows services again once you've reinstalled, and disable the two services again if necessary.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

If that doesn't work either, you can try a legacy version of Origin instead.  It's being phased out in a couple of weeks, but it may allow you to download the Sims 4 update now.  And by the time it stops working, hopefully these download issues will have been sorted out.  Here's the direct download link:

https://origin-a.akamaihd.net/Origin-Client-Download/origin/live/OriginSetup_10_5_41_27263.exe

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 38 of 42 (2,719 Views)

All Replies

Update won’t go through

★★★ Novice

I played yesterday with no problem. Today it said it had an update. I tried running the update and it said windows was blocking the permissions? I can’t figure out what to do since no windows permission box came up for me to say yes or no to it. Please help. 

Message 1 of 42 (2,438 Views)

Re: Update won’t go through

@STEPHIEFAB  Try running Origin as an admin: right-click on the Origin icon and select "Run as administrator."

Message 2 of 42 (2,409 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I am having the same problem as Steph. Tried running as admin, did not work. Did a test downloading of another game (on Steam) and a driver download from nvidia without any problems. So I would have to guess it is an Origin thing. Anyone else having problems?

Message 3 of 42 (2,404 Views)

@Baal62  There are a handful of reports today (not only with Sims 4), and I think Origin updated yesterday, so there may be some issue with the new version.  You can try messing with the User Access Control settings on your computer to see whether it helps.  Type "uac" wtihout quotes in the search box in the lower left corner of your screen, open UAC, shift the setting to the lowest (or the highest, as you're supposed to get a notification every time), click OK, and test.

Please make sure any other antivirus/firewall you run isn't blocking Origin.  If necessary, you can temporarily disable it, just long enough to let the downlaod go through.

Message 4 of 42 (2,392 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I appreciate the quick reply. I have now tried the update with UAC in each position with the same result  (waiting on permissions). I also tried it with Windows Defender disabled (currently not running any 3rd party protection software), also with no joy. The computer is 2 weeks old and only used for gaming, no social media etc, so it is a really clean new windows install.

Message 5 of 42 (2,387 Views)

@Baal62  Try creating a new Windows admin user account, one with only letters and numbers (no special characters) in the name.  Maybe you'll be able to update Sims 4 in that account.

And yeah, I don't know exactly what's going on here, but it's definitely annoying.

Message 6 of 42 (2,384 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Second user created... and update is dl/ing. Thank you for your time and help. Oh you were right  "but it's definitely annoying".

Message 7 of 42 (2,362 Views)

★★★ Novice

Annoyingly, i have the same issue but creating a new user account didn't help Frown still can't download the game, it still asks for a popup that never appears

Message 8 of 42 (2,306 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Same problem in Windows 10 1903 18362.535

Faulting application name: OriginWebHelperService.exe, version: 10.5.56.33908

Tried:

1. different UAC settings

2. with Origin client in Restricted Access Mode

3. running as administrator

4. uninstall/reinstall origin client

5. new local admin account

PS: also tried sending error report thru Origin client, but does not appear in My Cases (ref: Report ID 10d4e353b00c4563)

Message 9 of 42 (2,290 Views)