Re: Update bugs, File Recovery, Corrupted Files, etc.

by Tyounge91

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Update bugs, File Recovery, Corrupted Files, etc.

★★ Novice

Hello,

So with the update that came out prior to Cottage Living, I had the lag bug with computers ( and just general lagging) so I finally just made a new save file. I tested it with and without CC, and tested the previous save file with and without CC to narrow down the issue before realizing it was a common bug with this update.

I made the new save file, reset my Mods folder, and then moved my CC folder content over (which is in an external hard drive).I accidentally or somehow deleted my build-buy mod folder so I used recuva to recover the files, all went well. I organized the files exactly back into the folder and attempted to start my game again.

The game will not start with my CC now and is claiming each file (including those not recovered by recuva) are corrupted and it just keeps showing each file as corrupted, needs to be removed, etc.

Is there something I can do to fix this, the reasoning for this issue? The files all worked perfectly fine, just hours before.

I’m hoping I won't lose my entire CC folder. Otherwise, I’m going to be done with this game, I’m tired of spending my money just for their updates to cause bugs.

Message 1 of 8 (382 Views)

Accepted Solution

@Tyounge91  There's no program that will tell you which files are corrupt, other than of course Sims 4 itself when it refuses to open with the files present.  So you'll unfortunately need to test them yourself.  It might be easier to just set aside all the files that were recovered, although if you have the patience, you can test them in small batches and set aside the ones that work.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 8 (310 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

I should add I've tried repairing game, and scanning the CC multiple time to find any issues and nothing has helped.

Message 2 of 8 (380 Views)

@Tyounge91  Please set aside the files you deleted and recovered: they may have been corrupted, or else the process may not have recovered enough of their data to make them usable.  This is the reality of recovery software: it can often restore part but not all of the data associated with a file, and whether the relevant program(s) can still read that file is always in question.

For the remaining files, please move your Mods folder to the desktop, delete localthumbcache.package, launch the game to create a new folder, move over one mod or cc item, and test.  If it doesn't work, remove that file and test a different one.  It's also possible that these files were somehow corrupted when moved to your external drive, although that's much less common.

And for what it's worth, the only way to prevent mods or cc from becoming incompatible with updates would be to basically not update the game at all, aside from perhaps adding more CAS and Build/Buy items.  Every new function introduced to the game is likely to break any mods that don't account for it, and any fix to a buggy feature will likely break mods that were based on how that feature originally functioned.  If you don't want this to happen, wait until the game is no longer in development and isn't receiving any patches.

Message 3 of 8 (358 Views)

★★ Novice

Ahhhh that makes sense....dang I didn't realize the "not able to fully recover x amount of files" files would actually be inserted into the folder. I thought it was just telling me and I was like "oh whatever it's just a few lost files"

Is there a program that can scan to find corrupted files in the mods folder? I have sims 4 tray importer but I would like to move the corrupted files out into a folder, re-download them, and such. I ask because there are over 1k files that were recovered using Recuva.

Thank you so much for the prompt response!

Message 4 of 8 (328 Views)

@Tyounge91  There's no program that will tell you which files are corrupt, other than of course Sims 4 itself when it refuses to open with the files present.  So you'll unfortunately need to test them yourself.  It might be easier to just set aside all the files that were recovered, although if you have the patience, you can test them in small batches and set aside the ones that work.

Message 5 of 8 (311 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi!

Thank you so much for helping me. I actually decided to dump my CC folder, and re-do it. As many of the recovered files replaced items in various folders. It also gave me a chance to get rid of things and organize it better.

I found after testing the files recovered by recuva in the mod detector they showed up at "faulty mod". Every mod in my mods folder now is brand new and updated. However my game still will not start. It isn't giving the corrupted file message anymore. However; once I press start the start button turns grey like it's about to load...then it just goes orange again and nothing happens.

I have no idea what is going on but honestly, if my entire game is broken I better get a refund because the update caused severe lagging WITHOUT my mods folder ever in the game. 

Message 6 of 8 (283 Views)

★★ Novice
@Tyounge91 Nevermind, accidentally downloaded a sims 3 file that was mucking everything up haha. I've tested my new folders one by one and so far so issues thankfully. Thank you!
Message 7 of 8 (263 Views)

@Tyounge91  Glad to hear you've sorted it out, and yes, a single Sims 3 mod or cc item could prevent the entire game from loading at all.

Message 8 of 8 (239 Views)