Unsure what computer to get to run The Sims 3

by Luk3_33O55

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Unsure what computer to get to run The Sims 3

★★★ Novice

I'm looking to buy a computer to play the Sims 3 on but I'm struggling to find one to fit my requirements which are:

1. Windows 7 
  2. Under £200
  3. Is A Laptop

I'm aware £200 isn't much in the world of computers but that is all I've got to buy a 'new' laptop. I could potentially settle for a desktop but would prefer a laptop. I also think it would be easier to run the game on windows 7.

Message 1 of 3 (418 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Unsure what computer to get to run The Sims 3

[ Edited ]

@Luk3_33O55  Honestly, you're not going to be able to find what you want for anywhere near £200.  The laptops in that range don't have a strong enough processor or graphics card for TS3.  You might be able to get the base game running on one of them, on the very lowest graphics settings, but even then, you'd likely overheat the laptop and risk damaging or even destroying it.  These models aren't built for even moderately demanding tasks like TS3, and the game is stressful enough to cause real problems for underpowered hardware.

A laptop that can run all packs on high settings might be available for £700, depending on sales, although many laptops in that range will also struggle with the game.  Desktops can be a bit cheaper, but you'd probably have to spend at least £600-650, again being careful to check the specs.  (This is something I could do for you, if you were looking to buy in that range.)

For what it's worth, running Windows 7 would only help a bit on the margins.  Windows 10 takes more resources than its predecessors, but any system that can properly run TS3 will have enough RAM, storage, and processing power for any OS you want.  Besides, it's pretty much impossible to find a new or lightly used system with Windows 7 these days.  Any computer that has it installed will be several years old, and probably will have been run down significantly from extended use.

I'm sorry I can't offer anything better, but the reality is that what you're looking for isn't out there.  A number of players have tried to play TS3 on this kind of weaker system, and it has always been a losing proposition.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (407 Views)

All Replies

Re: Unsure what computer to get to run The Sims 3

[ Edited ]

@Luk3_33O55  Honestly, you're not going to be able to find what you want for anywhere near £200.  The laptops in that range don't have a strong enough processor or graphics card for TS3.  You might be able to get the base game running on one of them, on the very lowest graphics settings, but even then, you'd likely overheat the laptop and risk damaging or even destroying it.  These models aren't built for even moderately demanding tasks like TS3, and the game is stressful enough to cause real problems for underpowered hardware.

A laptop that can run all packs on high settings might be available for £700, depending on sales, although many laptops in that range will also struggle with the game.  Desktops can be a bit cheaper, but you'd probably have to spend at least £600-650, again being careful to check the specs.  (This is something I could do for you, if you were looking to buy in that range.)

For what it's worth, running Windows 7 would only help a bit on the margins.  Windows 10 takes more resources than its predecessors, but any system that can properly run TS3 will have enough RAM, storage, and processing power for any OS you want.  Besides, it's pretty much impossible to find a new or lightly used system with Windows 7 these days.  Any computer that has it installed will be several years old, and probably will have been run down significantly from extended use.

I'm sorry I can't offer anything better, but the reality is that what you're looking for isn't out there.  A number of players have tried to play TS3 on this kind of weaker system, and it has always been a losing proposition.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (408 Views)

Unsure what computer to get to play the Sims 3.

★★★ Novice

I am struggling to find out what computer I should get to run the Sims 3. I would prefer a laptop but desktops seem to provide more performance for your money. I would also prefer if I could get it cheaply & running windows 7 as I believe it will be easier to run the game on. Finally, I need it to be able to run about 5 expansion packs & possibly a few stuff packs (as well as the base game obviously). I'm sorry if that is a bit too much to ask for.

Message 3 of 3 (409 Views)