Unknown Error Has Occurred Sims 3 Mac

by zom8ie8itch

Original Post

Unknown Error Has Occurred Sims 3 Mac

★★★ Newbie

I originally had all my sims game files on a backup drive (and only on that drive) because my computer didn't have enough space at the time. Yesterday I wanted to play the Sims and I didn't have the drive so I tried downloading the game (plus six expansion packs) and it said "unknown error has occurred". I couldn't for some reason uninstall it, so I dragged it all to trash and "deleted" it (it stil somehow takes up space without being able to see it) and when I hooked up my drive and tried to play that, it now won't work too. So I guess I have two questions.

1) How to uninstall the extra on my computer.

2) How to get the "unknown error has occurred" to go away

Message 1 of 2 (107 Views)

Re: Unknown Error Has Occurred Sims 3 Mac

Champion (Retired)

Hi 

First, below are some instructions on how to cleanly uninstall the game. You will need to manually search for some files as described.

Second, I have heard of quite a lot of players who have tried to use an external drive for the game and the game doesn't seem to like it. You might be better of clearing some space on your Mac's normal hard drive if you wish to play.

The unknown error can be caused by a variety of issues but in your case I think a wonky installation is probably the main thing to worry about.

Good luck!

Caspin

Clean uninstall/reinstall instructions

When you uninstall TS3 games on your Mac using the uninstaller, the game leaves behind stray files and isn't completely removed from your computer. These files may conflict with future installations. It is best to completely remove them. BluebellFlora's website provides a guide on how to do this:

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

After cleanly uninstalling, install the base game and patch it up to date. If you cannot update via the Launcher, download and apply the latest cumulative manual patch (called the superpatch) for Mac.

Check that your game works properly. Then install any EPs and SPs that you own, in order of release date.

Message 2 of 2 (104 Views)