Re: Unable to start Cannot start because game data is missing or damaged

by kkzeus1010

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Unable to start Cannot start because game data is missing or damaged

★★★ Novice

Hi I just reset my PC hoping it would start running more smoothly, and now I can't access the sims. I have redownloaded origin and the sims with all my packs (no cc or mods) and I keep getting an error message when I try to open my game. I have tried running as administrator, uninstalling and reinstalling both origin and the game, and I have also tried repairing. I have seen a few people having the same issues but I haven't found a solution that is working for me. If you have any suggestions please spell it out for me as I am not the smartest when it comes to computers. I was really hoping to play the new pack but I guess my computer wants me to wait. Thanks!

Message 1 of 11 (901 Views)

Accepted Solution

@kkzeus1010  Try updating the Nvidia graphics driver.  Yours is three years old.  You can get a new one here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/166629/en-us

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 10 of 11 (827 Views)

All Replies

Hero
@kkzeus1010 Are you using mods/cc in your game ?

Is this the message you're getting: https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2015/02/cannot-start-because-required-game-data-is-missing-or-damaged... ?

If so, try the suggestions given in the post.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 11 (890 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yes I am getting option B. I have no Mods nor CC and I never have. I also have already tried those, It didn't work.

Message 3 of 11 (887 Views)

Hero

What security software are you running ?

Try resetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

After renaming, repair your game by right clicking on the game in Origin.

Try on a new game with nothing added back first (start new game). If it works, put back your save game and try again. If it still works, you can start putting stuff back.

• Options.ini (or just re-set all your settings manually)
  • Tray Folder
  • Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
  • Rest of the save games (leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave and no longer needed - if you still have it)
  • Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, make up ....
  • ConfigOverride, if you have your own configuration files.

The rest does not need putting back, cause they are mostly cache files that recreate or log files that are not needed for the game.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 11 (878 Views)

★★★ Novice
@crinrict Thank you for all you're help, I actually had to update my graphics card!
Message 5 of 11 (871 Views)

Hero
@kkzeus1010 OK. Insteresting.

So all working now ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 11 (867 Views)

★★★ Novice
@crinrict I thought so, but now it is opening and then loading for a while, and then not responding. I have had this happen before, but after 20 mins it usually would work, this isn't.
Message 7 of 11 (857 Views)

@kkzeus1010  Try disabling Origin in-game: hover over your username, select Application Settings, then the Origin in-game header, and disable the option at the top.

If that doesn't help, try playing while your computer is completely offline.  You can sign into Origin and put it in offline mode, then disable wifi and/or disconnect the ethernet cable before launching the game.

If that doesn't help either, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 8 of 11 (853 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Didn't work. 

Message 9 of 11 (843 Views)

@kkzeus1010  Try updating the Nvidia graphics driver.  Yours is three years old.  You can get a new one here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/166629/en-us

Message 10 of 11 (828 Views)