Re: Unable to play... Help

by vmcc20

Original Post

Unable to play... Help

★★ Novice

I downloaded sims 4 via origin, managed to load it fine but around 5 minutes into the tutorial it crashed, but it crashes the entire laptop so not able to exit without force shutdown. Reload it and tried it out of tutorial mode and again it crashed the entire laptop. I've run it windows 7 & 8 compability mode and it still crashed. Can't locate the lastcrash file on my laptop folders to try and figure it out either. I've not been able to play it all since downloading it, I run a windows 10 machine which is fully updated. TIA. 

Message 1 of 14 (1,003 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Please post a DxDiag. https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
You can attach the txt file directly to your answer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 14 (988 Views)

★★ Novice

DxDiag

Message 3 of 14 (950 Views)

★ Guide

Hello!

From what I can see, you are using an NVIDIA driver from May. Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers? The fact that the GPU is not up-to-date may cause diverse types of issues in-game ^_^. 

If needs be: Open "GeForce Experience" > top left side press "Drivers" > top right side, under your name, press "Check for Updates", after this - you will be able to download the latest driver. 

Please let us know the updates after trying the steps above :3. 

Have a nice year btw! <3

Message 4 of 14 (939 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Make sure that the game runs on the Geforce card not the builtin Intel graphics. Do you have any Mods or CC? If so move your Mods folder to the Desktop and delete localthumbcache.package. Then test the game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 5 of 14 (924 Views)

★★ Novice

I've not been able to update the Nvadia driver, It keeps failing don't know if windows 10 recent update is blocking this. Tried downloading/updating via them directly and had the same issue. Then ran Sims 4 through Geforce and again it crashed after around 5 minutes and wouldn't respond, had to force shutdown Frown 

Message 6 of 14 (900 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Please try to start the game in windowed mode as explained here: https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/02/start-game-in-windowed-mode/

Message 7 of 14 (889 Views)

★ Guide

I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't update the driver Frown

Have you tried uninstalling the GeForce Experience and anything related to Nvidia, then reinstalling the GeForce Experience and installing the update through it? 

It is pretty important to have updated drivers, since with each new version - bugs are fixed. Games can also misbehave if the version is way too old, since there is a discrepancy between how advanced each one of them is (in terms of updates and new features/fixes). :D 

Please let us know what happens after trying the advice :3 

Have a nice day ^_^!

Message 8 of 14 (853 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@vmcc20
Check if your system has any problems that may not have been shown in DxDiag
https://support.microsoft.com/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corr...
I can also suggest you switch Skype off. There were posts on the Microsoft forum that the latest update of Skype in December causes some errors in some applications after the Win10 update. This may not apply to TS4 but disabling Skype for a moment to be sure, it's probably not a big problem
I don't work for EA
Message 9 of 14 (840 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice

Haven't had an opportunity to try TS4 Yet, but I've finally managed to update the driver through GeForce directly! I'll update shortly Standard smile

Message 10 of 14 (726 Views)