Unable to load - white screen

by Inferno_0014

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Unable to load - white screen

★★ Novice

Hello all!

I was hoping to get some help/ideas - whenever I try to start up Sims 4 I get a white screen with a spinning wheel (or ring?), and the game becomes unresponsive. When this happens, I cannot even terminate the task - although Ctrl+Alt+Del brings up the console, when I select the "Task Manager" it gets opened in the background (I can see that it was opened when I try to Alt+Tab, however I cannot actually bring it up) and therefore I cannot terminate.

I have tried pretty much everything I could find - updating drivers, cleaning registries, doing a complete re-install with no mods/expansions, trying to use -f and -w, running in compatibility modes (every version from Vista through to 8), running as admin - and always with the same result.

It is definitely not a hardware issue - I'm running a i9-9900K and a 2080 Ti (with the rest to match). I do not have issues with any other games on Origin.

The specific version of Sims 4 is the "The Sims 4 Digital Deluxe with Dine Out and Kids Room Stuff".

Any suggestions before I give up and request a refund?

Cheers!

Message 1 of 11 (867 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to load - white screen

Hero (Retired)

@Inferno_0014   Have you allowed Origin and the game executable through your antivirus? The game HAS to talk to Origin to run at least the first time run to authenticate the installation. You will get updates through Origin. Does Origin work? I recommend to disable your antivirus and see if the game runs. If the game runs without the antivirus running then you need to enable the antivirus and configure it to allow the game. I have never used Bitdefender. This would be my first guess. A quick looks like you have to create a profile for the game in Bitdefender.

View in thread

Message 7 of 11 (802 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@Inferno_0014 Is your computer a desktop or laptop? Did the game ever run? While it may not be a hardware issue quite often it is a driver issue. This game should run in Windows 10 without having to change the compatibility mode. First thing to check to see if Windows 10 is up to date. Some Windows updates can cause stability issues if there is a problem or if the update was interrupted.

Message 2 of 11 (855 Views)

@Inferno_0014  Try disabling Origin in-game: hover over your username, select Application Settings, then the Origin in-game header, and disable the option at the top.

If that doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also let me know what antivirus program you use.

And finally, please test without any compatibility mode: Sims 4 should run without issues in Windows 10.  The -f and -w commands are fine to use, but be sure to test both whenever you make a change.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 11 (846 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello 'ello! Thanks for your responses - I have tried all of the suggestions with no luck; running without compatibility mode, disabling Origin, and checking that all drivers (OS, graphics) are up to date.

I have attached my dxdiag info in case it helps shed any light on the situation.

Message 4 of 11 (819 Views)

★★ Novice
Also - I use Bitdefender as my antivirus.
Message 5 of 11 (818 Views)

★★ Novice
@roberta591 The computer is a desktop, and no - the game never ran.
Message 6 of 11 (815 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Inferno_0014   Have you allowed Origin and the game executable through your antivirus? The game HAS to talk to Origin to run at least the first time run to authenticate the installation. You will get updates through Origin. Does Origin work? I recommend to disable your antivirus and see if the game runs. If the game runs without the antivirus running then you need to enable the antivirus and configure it to allow the game. I have never used Bitdefender. This would be my first guess. A quick looks like you have to create a profile for the game in Bitdefender.

Message 7 of 11 (803 Views)

★★ Novice
@roberta591 I just followed the online instructions for completely disabling the anti-virus, and it seems to work!!! Thanks Standard smile I added the file to exceptions for the Firewall previously, but that didn't seem to be enough. Thanks for the help!!
Message 8 of 11 (795 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Inferno_0014  I've had trouble with after market antivirus. I use the one that comes with Windows and it does a good job. Google Bitdefender and there was link about creating a profile. You need to decide if you want Bitdefender or Windows default but you should have an active antivirus and firewall running.

Message 9 of 11 (775 Views)

★★ Novice

i have same problem but no antivirus at all. 

Message 10 of 11 (512 Views)