Re: Unable to Start TS4 on New PC

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Unable to Start TS4 on New PC

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Unable to Start TS4 on New PC

I just got a new PC recently, and when I tried to start the Sims 4, an error message of "unable to start: can't run the Sims 4 with the video card in this system" popped up.

I currently have an AMD Radeon 5700XT with the newest driver, and when I checked the list of supported video cards, it is being listed as supported.

After a few failed attempts to run the game, I

1)reinstalled/updated the game,

2)updated the video card driver,

3)repaired the game,

4)Disabled full-screen optimizations for TS4,

5)turned off the "Origin in game", and

6)last but not least, tried to run it in windowed mode.

Yet none of the above solved the problem.

I included both the error message screenshot and the DxDiag info. I am able to run other games fine, it seemed like the Sims 4 was the only game that I struggled to play so far. 

Thank you!

Message 1 of 6 (446 Views)

@shumurawa  Do you have a file called config.log in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4?  (I'm not sure whether the game is getting far enough to generate one.)  If so, please copy and paste the first 40 or so lines into a reply here; you can stop where the "Options" section starts.

Please also let me know whether you use Avast or AVG, and if you do, try setting exceptions for Origin.exe and TS4_x64.exe.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (413 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I don't think I have Avast/AVG, and here will be the config info. Thank you for helping out!

=== Application info ===
Name: Sims4
Version: 1.67.45.1020
Build: Release 64 Bit
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 4 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 3693 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 5340 RAM: 16318 Adjusted RAM: 15806 Cores: 16
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows 10 10.0.19041
OS prod type:
OS major ver: 10
OS minor ver: 0
OS SP major ver:
OS SP minor ver:
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: AuthenticAMD
Brand: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor
Family: 15
Model: 8
Cores: 16
HT: 0
x64: 1
Memory: 16318MB
Free memory: 12625MB
VA space: 134217728MB
User: Owner
Computer: DESKTOP-QJ2QBCO
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Name (database): AMD Radeon RX 5700 / 5700 XT [Found: 1, Supported: 1]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 731f, Board: 2398148c, Chipset: 00c1
Driver: aticfx64.dll, Version: 27.20.12031.1000, GUID: D7B71EE2-305F-11CF-D474-672D7AC2D635
Driver version: 1000
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY10
Texture memory: 8152MB
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1
Opt. features: +sab +a8l8 +rgba16f +r32f +bc4 +bc5 -rawz +intz

Message 3 of 6 (400 Views)

@shumurawa  The game is reading your hardware correctly, at least, or at least it has at some point after the latest patch.  Try playing in a clean boot:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

After rebooting, please also go through the Task Manager and end any tasks that don't absolutely need to be running, especially background tasks that might not have been disabled in the clean boot.  These could be anything from MSI Afterburner to an RGB service; just disable everything you can find that isn't critical.  And let me know if you see any services that mention an antivirus aside from Windows Defender—it's possible your new PC came with a program pre-installed.

If that doesn't help, please create a new admin user account on your computer and try playing in that.  You won't need to reinstall anything; just sign into your existing Origin account, and you should be able to (try to) launch Sims 4.

If that doesn't help either, please set your system to write a crash dump.  I'm not totally sure you'll get one, but even if you don't, that's useful information.

• Hit the Windows key, type "command prompt" in the box, right-click on Command Prompt in the search results, and select Run as Administrator
  • In the window, paste "reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\devenv.exe" /v DumpType /d 2 /t REG_DWORD" without the outside quotes into the box, and enter
  • Launch Sims 4 and let it error out
  • After it fails to load, wait for any crash dialogs to finish
  • Then hit Windows key-R and paste "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" without quotes into the box, and enter
  • Upload the last .dmp file a filesharing site, and link it here
  • When you want to undo the auto crash log dumps, open Command Prompt as before, paste "reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /f" without the outside quotes, and enter.

If you don't get a crash dump, that's fine; just let me know.

Message 4 of 6 (394 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict So I tried clean-boot and no luck there. Admin account wasn't helping either. I actually did a clean Win 10 installation, so there shouldn't be anything other than Windows Defender, plus I pretty much disabled everything for the clean boot.

When I tried the crash dump, I don't think I got one or at least didn't see any.

Thank you for helping!

Message 5 of 6 (375 Views)

@shumurawa  Please run another dxdiag (post-clean Windows install) and attach it to a post.

When you say you did a clean install, did you do the kind that keeps your personal data and apps, or was this a total wipe?  I'm not suggesting you wipe the system, just asking.

Message 6 of 6 (364 Views)