Re: The sims 4 has stopped working on launch but works on clean boot

by hankonnen

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The sims 4 has stopped working on launch but works on clean boot

★★★★ Novice

Here's what I've done:

- I tried re-installing everything
- All display drivers are up to date, directx etc. and are up to par to run the game

- I've tried running on all probable compatibility (win 7(i'm on this), vista, exp, etc.)

- Fresh boot by clearing data folder (C: / Users / (your username) / Documents / Electronic Arts)
- I don't use any mods or CC
- I have tuned off DEP
- I included all sims 4 exe files into antivirus/firewall/defender
exception list
- the last thing I tried was clean boot and it worked, BUT after finding the culprit which was Power service in msconfig. Turned out I couldn't control power options, screen brightness (it became very dark by default), and audio services can't be enabled I don't want to play sims without audio and a dark screen so please help me out I'm desperate for some answer I've downloaded sims 4 long ago on the same device and everything worked perfectly so I have no idea what went wrong this time

the sims 4 has stopped working

my dxdiag is attached

Message 1 of 12 (1,087 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict no problem, thanks for getting back to me. Earlier today (before I saw you reply) I looked up game crash problems caused by atiumd64.dll and found one on steam with similar case about The Witcher . It suggested downloading a newer version of the problematic dll and simply replacing it. IT WORKED. So I basically downloaded a fresh atiumd64 dll  and so far it has worked smoothly.

Should I do the steps you just mentioned just to be sure or should I leave it at that??

I really appreciate you guiding me through this 🙏, I would've never thought of using reliability monitor if it wasn't for your suggestions. AMD just sucks I guess lol 

View in thread

Message 11 of 12 (863 Views)

All Replies

@hankonnen  Please look for any related errors in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes, and you'll see a chart of errors and updates, with a column for each day.  Today is on the right.  For the last couple of days, look for any entry that mentions Sims 4 or Origin, or has a timestamp that corresponds to when you tried to launch the game.  (The timestamps might be off by an hour or so.)  For each one you find, click "View technical details," copy the information into a text document, and attach it to a post.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 12 (1,080 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Faulting application name: TS4_x64.exe, version: 1.62.67.1020, time stamp: 0x5e798db8
Faulting module name: atiumd64.dll, version: 26.20.15029.27016, time stamp: 0x5e9f589b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000114399
Faulting process id: 0xa50
Faulting application start time: 0x01d632939902e99b
Faulting application path: D:\games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin\TS4_x64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\atiumd64.dll
Report Id: e40e39f3-9e86-11ea-82b7-d07e352af692

Message 3 of 12 (1,059 Views)

@hankonnen  You have a driver installed for a Radeon graphics card, but the card isn't showing in the dxdiag, meaning it's not active.  The faulting module is a component of this driver, so you'll need to update the driver (ideally) or remove it entirely (if updating doesn't help).  Your particular model laptop comes in several different configurations, so it's best to let AMD detect your graphics card and install a proper driver.  Go here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support

download the auto detect tool, run it, and install the driver it offers.  Please let me know if it doesn't work, and what specific graphics card it says you have—your dxdiag just lists the series.

If you can install the driver, restart your computer, then try to play Sims 4 in normal mode.  If it crashes again, please paste the newest Reliability Monitor entry as you did here.

Message 4 of 12 (1,040 Views)

★★★★ Novice

My current graphic card statsMy current graphic card statsThe auto detect software recommends a downgradeThe auto detect software recommends a downgrade

My amd radeon graphics card is currently up to date (as shown above), and the auto detect software recommends a downgrade so that's what I'm doing. Will update as soon as I'm finished

Message 5 of 12 (1,003 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I've updated Radeon but it didn't help. I tried disabling it, hence allowing the game to run on intel graphics card and it said:

error intel.png

here's the latest log:

Faulting application name: TS4_x64.exe, version: 1.62.67.1020, time stamp: 0x5e798db8
Faulting module name: atiumd64.dll, version: 26.20.15029.27016, time stamp: 0x5e9f589b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000114399
Faulting process id: 0x8f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d632bbf043a7d5
Faulting application path: D:\games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin\TS4_x64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\atiumd64.dll
Report Id: 4755386d-9eaf-11ea-be8a-d07e352af692

I want to thank you and appreciate your replies. I really hope you can stick and help me Embarrassed Beer

This is the graphic card detailsThis is the graphic card details

Message 6 of 12 (947 Views)

@hankonnen  The AMD driver is still crashing, so it's best to do a clean uninstall.  Download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3067

Download the newest recommended driver (not the optional one) here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-8000m-series/amd-radeon-hd-8550m...

(I believe this is the correct driver, but if it doesn't run later, that's fine, just let me know.)

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then launch Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like; make sure the box in red is checked:

DDU 1.1.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

DDU 2.png

In the blue box, choose GPU, then AMD if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (red box).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, run the driver install .exe in custom mode.  If it installs, reboot again, go back online, and see whether the game works normally.  If not, let me know.

Message 7 of 12 (913 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I've made sure I followed it right. I also used DriverSweeper and CCleaner after to make sure nothing was left before installing the recommended driver which was version 20.4.2. I still couldn't launch the game, however I got a different kind of the sims 4 has stopped working now:

err51.pngerr52.png

and this is the reliability report:

Description
Faulting Application Path: D:\games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin\TS4_x64.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: TS4_x64.exe
Application Version: 1.62.67.1020
Application Timestamp: 5e798db8
Fault Module Name: atiumd64.dll
Fault Module Version: 26.20.15029.27017
Fault Module Timestamp: 5ebee80f
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000114399
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 2dac
Additional Information 2: 2dacd460b5ca531dcb947d21ba2ca6e2
Additional Information 3: e80a
Additional Information 4: e80ae63ddaa58d4b075304f346f20533

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 3150018

Message 8 of 12 (874 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict would rolling back the graphic driver to a version that's at least 2 or 3 previous versions work?

Message 9 of 12 (797 Views)

@hankonnen  Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday.  I wanted a second opinion about the driver.  And I got one, but that second opinion pointed out that this looks more like a system issue than one with the particular driver.

So please start by running a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

If sfc says it found corrupt files and was unable to repair some of them, please stop here.  Otherwise, restart your computer, and download and install all the newest drivers available for your laptop from Lenovo.  It's not obvious from the site organization which drivers you want, but if you click on the arrow under See Files for any driver, you'll see its release date.  (BIOS is separate, and please skip it.)  Your laptop's downloads are here:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/g40-80/80e4...

Install the chipset driver first, restart, then install the others.  You can ignore the video drivers for now as well, since you have newer versions and the older ones may not install without another clean uninstall of your current ones.  Once you've installed everything else, please run another dxdiag.

Message 10 of 12 (766 Views)