Re: The game loses connection with packs

by Darens-Stuff

Original Post

@Darens-Stuff  I'm sorry, but it's still possible that the issue is Alpine County, if not its memory use than its use of some other resource, or some glitch within your save.  Do you use mods, or would you be willing to try a few?  There are some that clean up errors and corrupt data and help with overall game performance without adding much, or anything, in the way of gameplay.  If you're hoping to preserve not just your sim family but the save overall, they might be worth trying.  There's no guarantee they'll be a fix, but it's possible.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 11 of 17 (384 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I use those mods! The memory use was 2.7 GB before saving, and got stuck again at 3 GB.

Message 12 of 17 (380 Views)

@Darens-Stuff  If you have NRaas MasterController, try a town reset: click on City Hall and select NRaas > MC > Town Options > Reset Everything.  It may take a while to run.  If you'd like to exempt the active household from the reset, you can do so in MC > Settings, but if that doesn't help, try letting your household be reset as well.

Message 13 of 17 (378 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Normaly that won't help either, but I will try it again.

Message 14 of 17 (375 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

It happened once again after I resetted the town...

Also, my game crashed out of nowhere. Can you tell me why did it happen? I added the .txt

Message 15 of 17 (346 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Darens-Stuff  The crash is listed as an access violation: the game tried to access memory in a way that isn't allowed.  (In this case, the crash log says the game tried to read a an address that's protected and is assigned to system processes, but Sims 3 crash logs are notoriously unreliable.)  The problem is, this kind of error can be caused by all kinds of underlying issues, from a faulty game install to a corrupt device driver to bad custom content.

In your case, the next move is to uninstall and reinstall Alpine County and see whether that helps.  If it doesn't, move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, open the launcher to create a clean folder, install only Alpine County, and copy over your save.  (There will be a folder with your save name in the Saves folder inside the old Sims 3 folder.)  Since you're copying the save instead of moving it, you can freely experiment on the copy while the original remains intact, and it won't matter if the save is missing other cc or store content.  Let me know whether you still get any crashes.

By the way, the crash log also says the game was using 3.5 GB RAM when it crashed.  If that was a temporary spike, the Task Manager might not have picked it up, and regardless, it's high enough to make the game unstable and prone to crashing.  Additionally, if this was in fact a spike and not just the overall RAM use during that play session, that could reflect an error within the save that the game engine was using extra memory trying to resolve.

My point is, while the end result is the same—game gets close to RAM limit, makes an invalid call to memory, it crashes or Windows initiates a crash—there are multiple possible underlying causes.  Sometimes it's difficult or even impossible to tell exactly what went wrong without running a debugger in live mode.  And so it takes trial and error to figure out how to address it.

Message 16 of 17 (340 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I reinstalled Alpine County a few hours ago. The crash happened again, but I didn't do a factory reset before trying it. I will try it with a factory reset and let you know. Thank you for the help!

Message 17 of 17 (333 Views)