Re: The Sims 4 legacy Edition stopped working

by Kayriari

Original Post

The Sims 4 legacy Edition stopped working

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

For some reason my Legacy Edition game stopped working after the updates, it doesn't even open I get the message "the sims 4 legacy edition stopped working" everytime i hit the play button. When I open "view details" I see Faulting module name: ntdll.dll. I have tried everything, start origin and the game as administrator, repair the game, move the folder to the desktop, back up and nothing has working. please help!!!

Message 1 of 18 (2,355 Views)

@imgingercoto  Please try running a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Note:  DISM doesn't work in Windows 7, at least not without other interventions, so if have Windows 7, you can skip that part.

If that doesn't help, please try playing in a clean boot.  Instructions for each OS are listed here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

If that doesn't help either, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

If you have Windows 7, please also look for relevant entries in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes.  You'll see a list of errors and updates, with a column for each day.  (Today is all the way on the right.)

For any errors that mention Origin or Sims 4 from after you run DISM and sfc, click "View technical details," then copy the information and paste it into a text document.  (Notepad is fine.)  You can attach the file to a post as well.  Sometimes the Reliability Monitor doesn't update right away, so if you don't see any related errors, be sure to check back an hour or two.  The timestamp on the initial chart can also be off by up to an hour, so that's not an entirely reliable metric, but the one within the technical details should be accurate.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 18 (2,324 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict wrote:

@imgingercoto  Please try running a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Note:  DISM doesn't work in Windows 7, at least not without other interventions, so if have Windows 7, you can skip that part.

If that doesn't help, please try playing in a clean boot.  Instructions for each OS are listed here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

If that doesn't help either, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

If you have Windows 7, please also look for relevant entries in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes.  You'll see a list of errors and updates, with a column for each day.  (Today is all the way on the right.)

For any errors that mention Origin or Sims 4 from after you run DISM and sfc, click "View technical details," then copy the information and paste it into a text document.  (Notepad is fine.)  You can attach the file to a post as well.  Sometimes the Reliability Monitor doesn't update right away, so if you don't see any related errors, be sure to check back an hour or two.  The timestamp on the initial chart can also be off by up to an hour, so that's not an entirely reliable metric, but the one within the technical details should be accurate.

Thanks for the reply I already did the clean boot and it didn't work. I attached the message I get everytime I try to open the game 

Message 3 of 18 (2,309 Views)

@imgingercoto  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post as well.

Message 4 of 18 (2,292 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict wrote:

@imgingercoto  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post as well.

I'm sorry to jump in this convo also sorry for my ignorance I have a very old laptop with windows 7 and I am having exactly the same issue after the update which is quite weird because my 64 bit version works so why do I need to post a dxdiag if it is evident that I have no video or sound related issues since my 64 bit version runs.  Ive already done almost everything

repair the game several times 

run origin as admin

run the game as admin

clean boot 

I don't have antivirus 

disabled origin in the game 

move my LE folder to the desktop

I just need to do a backup for TS4 LE but how can I do this without affecting my The Sims 4 64 bit version or can I just name The sims 4 legacy_BACKUP and it won't affect my other folder?

Message 5 of 18 (2,266 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I don't know if this makes sense but I'm checking my origin games folder in Program Files (x86) and it only shows a folder for The Sims 4

should it also show a folder for The Sims 4 Legacy Edition or not? By the way I am a painter Non CC content creator and I need this version of the game to post my work

Message 6 of 18 (2,213 Views)

@Kayriari  The Legacy Edition essentially functions as an add-on, not a separately installed game.  So you don't have a second game installed, just extra files for the LE.

You should however have two user folders in Documents\Electronic Arts: one for the standard version and one for the LE.  You can back up either or both of these folders and restore them later if needed.  Neither one should affect the other in theory, but in practice, sometimes the game tries to migrate data from the Sims 4 folder to the Sims 4 Legacy Edition folder when you switch from the standard version to the LE.  So yes, backups are good.

The dxdiag is to look for information about why the LE isn't working.  Just saying it doesn't work leaves open far too many possibilities to troubleshoot effectively.

Since you have Windows 7, please also look for relevant entries in the Reliability Monitor.  I described how earlier in this thread:

Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes.  You'll see a list of errors and updates, with a column for each day.  (Today is all the way on the right.)

Message 7 of 18 (2,141 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Is there any way I can send you the dxdiag to you privately?  I don't feel comfortable posting it here because there is personal information about my PC and location but I'm already desperate because I haven't found the solution yet

Message 8 of 18 (2,081 Views)

How to safely uninstall and reinstall TS4 and TS4 LE?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Since the new update arrived I am having a lot of problems but the main problem is that my Legacy Version is not opening at all which is quite weird because my 64 bit version opens and works correctly (before you ask, I urgently need the Legacy version to create Non CC content) I have tried everything to fix this and nothing has worked and I urgently need this version of the game. I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling because I am kind of scared because I heard from people who have had a lot of problems after doing this. my PC is quite old and has Windows 7. Could someone please explain how to uninstall and reinstall the game safely and step by step please. I don't want to lose what I have posted or saved in the gallery and the packs that have been given to me

Message 9 of 18 (2,076 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Kayriari  A dxdiag doesn't contain personal information, which is why people are allowed and even encouraged to post them on this site.  If your machine name is personal, there's nothing wrong with deleting the first couple of lines of the dxdiag, but the rest is only as specific as your hardware and drivers.

Having said that, if you're really uncomfortable posting one on an open forum, you can upload the dxdiag to a third-party filesharing site and send me the link via private message.  I'll let you know when I've downloaded it, and then you can take it down again.

For the uninstall question, start by moving your Sims 4 folder, and your Sims 4 Legacy Edition folder, out of Documents\Electornic Arts.  The best practice is to move them elsewhere (e.g. your desktop) AND copy them to an external drive or USB stick, just so you have backups if you happen to need them.  Then open your Origin game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Uninstall.

If you want to be extra thorough, quit Origin, clear its cache, and restart your computer after the uninstall finishes.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

When you want to reinstall, just download from your Origin library.  Launch the game once (in each of the standard version and the LE) to make sure it works, then you can move your existing content from the Sims 4 folders you moved into the new folders that will have spawned in Documents\Electronic Arts.

Message 10 of 18 (2,059 Views)