Re: The Sims 4 doesn't launch. Please, help me

by HarleyQuinn2922

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The Sims 4 doesn't launch. Please, help me

★ Apprentice

Hello,
I have a problem with The Sims 4. Recently, I have bought a new PC with very good video card. I've installed The Sims 4 with expansions and tried to launch it. And here's the problem. The game doesn't launch at all. While I'm trying to run it, the error ""Unable to start: Can't run The Sims 4 with the video card in this system. Please check that the video card meets the minimum specifications and the latest video drivers are installed." appears. "Can You Run It" shows that the game should work fine. I'm sure it's not the video drivers' fault because they're up to date. In the "Config" file in Documents there is only the following message: "Unable to read graphics device parameters. (code: 1)". I've already tried to:

- repair the game in Origin

- run the game in windowed mode

- reinstall it

- reinstall the video drivers

- do the clean boot of the system

- run the game as admin

- add the video card to the database in "GraphicsCards.sgr" file

- disable the "Origin in game" function"

Unfortunately, nothing has worked Frown . What's interesting, yesterday I took my PC to my pal, we plugged in the PC at his place and there the game worked completely OK. When I got back home and plugged in the PC at my place it turned out that still the same error appears and The Sims 4 doesn't launch.

I've attached my DxDiag.

Please, help me.

Message 1 of 9 (1,891 Views)

Accepted Solution

★ Guide

I was able to google translate a bit of the steps they've shared with you on the other post :D Great solutions, I feel sad that nothing worked yet Frown.  I'll try my best to find some solutions, but you'll have to do some troubleshooting for me :3. Hopefully we can find a way for you to keep your current display. 

1. Thank you for sharing the file! Everything seems fine :3 

2. Hmmm, I'll come back to this one in a few steps. I don't wanna modify anything to it yet, in case it is needed. 

3. In this case, is it much of a trouble if you carry your PC back to your friend, AND also get the cable that connects your display to the PC? There's a few scenarios to try: 
     a). Your PC + your display cable + your friend's display => Try Sims 4
     b). Your PC + his display cable + your display (I think for this one you can ask him to borrow you the cable and you can give it back to him later)  => Try Sims 4 
          --- Same thing as b). however without the modified  GraphicsCards.sgr file. 

I will also need you to tell me what happened in both situations :3. If 3.b) works, then you should buy a cable just like his. 

In the DxDiag I have seen that you have used a DVI cable. My guess, since everything worked at your friend, is that he had a different type of cable (HDMI). Please correct me if I am wrong :D. 

Waiting for your reply ^_^. 
Thank you again for sticking with me :D :eahigh_file:

View in thread

Message 5 of 9 (1,752 Views)

All Replies

Dot.: The Sims 4 doesn't launch. Please, help me

[ Edited ]
Hero

HI @wikszefu2 

I see that you already created a thread in the polish forum with lots of people trying to help you out: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Problemy-techniczne/Gra-The-Sims-4-nie-chce-sie-uruchomic-Prosze-o-pomoc/t...

Have they not been able to solve your issue ? (I don't really speak polish). Did you tell them about your newest find that it works at your friends house ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 9 (1,880 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Greetings @wikszefu2 

First, thanks for sharing all the troubleshooting that you've tried up until this point and for attaching a DxDiag Cat

I have a couple of questions to narrow down some of the possibilities as to why this is happening only at your place :D. 

1. When you've added your GPU to the GraphicsCards.sgr file, what code (highlighted in my screenshot below) did you introduce before its name? 

GraphicsCardsSGR.PNG

2. When you've plugged the PC at your friend, did you have the settings modified for the GraphicsCards.sgr?

3. Did you use a different display at your friend? Or did you also carry it at your friend?  Because maybe either the cable of the display or the display of your friend was a good fit for your set-up. I know it's weird, but it might happen. 

4. Can you think of something that  you've done different at your friend, that you haven't done at your place? :D 

Looking forward to hearing from you ^_^! 

Have a lovely day ahead Standard smile

I do not work for EA. I am just a player helping other players. 

Message 3 of 9 (1,864 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hi

Thanks for all of the replies.

@crinrictI toid them about the find. Unfortunately, they've not been able to solve it so far Frown

@HarleyQuinn2922 

1. The number is: "0x15DD". It's the device ID taken from the Device Manager in Windows. Here's a link to the file on Dropbox: 

2. No.
3. Yes, we used different display there. And here is the problem because I'm afraid that after having bought a new PC I wouldn't have enough money to buy a new display in the near future, so I would be very grateful for finding (if it's possible) a solution that will make the game run on my current display Standard smile

4. Apart from using the different  display, no :D

Any ideas how to repair this? Standard smile

EDIT by EA_Jason: Removed link to file as we cannot verify the file. Please only link files from official sources. 

Message 4 of 9 (1,788 Views)

★ Guide

I was able to google translate a bit of the steps they've shared with you on the other post :D Great solutions, I feel sad that nothing worked yet Frown.  I'll try my best to find some solutions, but you'll have to do some troubleshooting for me :3. Hopefully we can find a way for you to keep your current display. 

1. Thank you for sharing the file! Everything seems fine :3 

2. Hmmm, I'll come back to this one in a few steps. I don't wanna modify anything to it yet, in case it is needed. 

3. In this case, is it much of a trouble if you carry your PC back to your friend, AND also get the cable that connects your display to the PC? There's a few scenarios to try: 
     a). Your PC + your display cable + your friend's display => Try Sims 4
     b). Your PC + his display cable + your display (I think for this one you can ask him to borrow you the cable and you can give it back to him later)  => Try Sims 4 
          --- Same thing as b). however without the modified  GraphicsCards.sgr file. 

I will also need you to tell me what happened in both situations :3. If 3.b) works, then you should buy a cable just like his. 

In the DxDiag I have seen that you have used a DVI cable. My guess, since everything worked at your friend, is that he had a different type of cable (HDMI). Please correct me if I am wrong :D. 

Waiting for your reply ^_^. 
Thank you again for sticking with me :D :eahigh_file:

Message 5 of 9 (1,753 Views)

★ Apprentice

Wow, so many solutions to try! ^-^ Thank you very much for your time ^_^ I'll try these steps and let you know how things are going Wink

Message 6 of 9 (1,748 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hi!

Sorry for taking ages to reply but it was the end of the school year in Poland recently and I was short of time (last tests, last answers, last grades etc. Wink ) . Thank you all for your solutions. I want to thank especially @HarleyQuinn2922 . I met with my friend some days ago. We started troubleshooting from the scenario 3b because we thought that that might be the point. And it was! Wink So I bought a HDMI-HDMI cable (I had a HDMI-DVI one previously) and now The Sims 4 launches and works like a charm! Wink Thanks again @HarleyQuinn2922  Wink But for your help I wouldn’t have thought that the problem might be in the type of cable.

Message 7 of 9 (1,639 Views)

★ Guide

I am so glad to hear that everything is fine now 💜!!! 

Really thank you for writing back and not forgetting about us here :D. I am so happy that you don't need to repair/buy something new and expensive and it was only a small issue with the cable 💜. 

Sometimes the cable and GPU might not match each other and the Windows/games might have a difficult time recognizing the gpu :3. 

I also hope everything went well at school and that you've finished the year with good grades! ^_^ 

Wishing you all the best further! 🤗

Message 8 of 9 (1,616 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi! Standard smile

Of course, I haven't forgotten about you! Standard smile I'm also very happy about not having to repair/buy something new Wink . The cause of the problem was really strange. Surely, everything went well at school Standard smile . Thank you very much for your kindness and patience during the troubleshooting proccess ^_^ . If I encounter any problem with The Sims in the future, I will tip you off Wink . Wishing you all the best further, too! ^_^

Message 9 of 9 (1,602 Views)