The Sims 4 crashes when opening

by DianeHanna

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The Sims 4 crashes when opening

★★★ Novice

I purchased Eco Living and it ran correctly. Since I haven't been playing much I didn't re-add my mods. Yesterday I started the game and installed the latest update through Origin. The game loaded and I played for a minute or two. Exited the game and added a few mods. The game crashed.  I took out the mods, but the game would not restart at all. I deleted the cache files, Game still crashed before loading.  I did the game repair several times.  When I hit play it seems to try to open, but crashes within 5-10 seconds.

I moved all my game files to the desktop and uninstalled Sims 4. I ran CCleaner to see if I could remove any remnants.  Downloaded the game again.  It still will not open. It flashes a white screen.  I have been playing on this PC for years. I don't know what could have happened so suddenly.

Message 1 of 12 (1,224 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: The Sims 4 crashes when opening

@DianeHanna  Your dxdiag shows that the Nvidia driver is crashing, over and over, and taking Sims 4 down with it.  The driver is over two years old now, and Dell hasn't posted a new one.  But that's fine, you can just download and install the newest driver Nvidia offers.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/162105/en-us

Run it as an admin: right-click and select "Run as administrator."

By the way, please make sure your monitor is plugged directly into the graphics card itself, not the motherboard.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 12 (1,080 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

Move your Mods folder to the Desktop and delete localthumbcache.package. Then test the game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 12 (1,206 Views)

★★★ Novice

I completely uninstalled Sims 4. In the new install, there is only an empty Mods folder that the game creates when trying to open. There are no cache files at all. Since the game crashes before it opens all the way, not all of the game files are created.

Thanks for the answer, but that was the first thing I tried, before uninstalling the whole game to try to start over clean.

Diane

Message 3 of 12 (1,156 Views)

@DianeHanna  Try disabling Origin in-game: hover over your username, select Application Settings, then the Origin in-game header, and disable the option at the top.

If that doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 4 of 12 (1,134 Views)

★★★ Novice

Disabling Origin in-game made no difference. I am attaching the dxdiag file as requested. Thanks for your time.

Message 5 of 12 (1,108 Views)

@DianeHanna  Your dxdiag shows that the Nvidia driver is crashing, over and over, and taking Sims 4 down with it.  The driver is over two years old now, and Dell hasn't posted a new one.  But that's fine, you can just download and install the newest driver Nvidia offers.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/162105/en-us

Run it as an admin: right-click and select "Run as administrator."

By the way, please make sure your monitor is plugged directly into the graphics card itself, not the motherboard.

Message 6 of 12 (1,081 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you! You saved me a very expensive fee for a tech to come and fix this. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this site and your advice.  I am back in business.

Diane

Message 7 of 12 (1,044 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am having the same issue of my game not starting. This happened when my computer got wiped and i reinstalled origin and the Sims 4. since then it has not booted up even once. I have tried almost everything I can think of:

Installed latest driver in clean mode
reinstalled origin
repaired the game
created a gaming profile for origin
cleared cache and mods
disabled origin-in game

If anyone has anymore suggestions I would greatly appreciate the help.

My DXDiag file is attached 

Message 8 of 12 (862 Views)

@AoifePenguin  Please try disconnecting your Citrix display adapter and see whether the game starts.  If it doesn't, let me know what antivirus you use.

Message 9 of 12 (849 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have disconnected my Citrix Display Adaptor but the game will still not load.
I use Sophos for antivirus protection.

Message 10 of 12 (836 Views)