Re: The Sims 4 crash after installing new gpu

by sanderev66

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The Sims 4 crash after installing new gpu

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Today I upgraded from my old Nvidia 1060 to a new RTX 2060 Super.

Every game I tried works perfectly (better than ever).  However when I try the Sims the game completely crashes my PC as soon as I go to any household. (I have to hard reboot my pc)

I have removed my The SIms 4 folder from My Documents, and even loading a household in a new save crashes my PC.

I've attached my DxDiag.txt.

Message 1 of 3 (1,146 Views)

Accepted Solution

@sanderev66  The two most recent errors in your dxdiag are related to Razer Chroma software, so try disabling any Razer apps you have installed before playing.

There are also a pile of errors related to the driver for your graphics card.  Although the errors aren't dated, meaning it's impossible to say just from the dxdiag whether they happened before or after you upgraded your GPU, it's a good idea to do a clean uninstall and reinstall of the driver anyway.  Download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3183

Download a fresh copy of the Nvidia driver from here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/162105/en-us

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then launch Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like; make sure the box in red is checked:

DDU 1.1.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

DDU 2.png

In the blue box, choose GPU, then Nvidia if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (red box).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, run the driver install .exe in custom mode.  Select "perform a clean installation" and install ONLY the GPU driver and the PHYSX software.

Reboot again, go back online, and see whether the game works normally.  Please keep testing using a new save in a clean Sims 4 folder, as you've done, just to remove any complicating factors.

If you get another crash, let me know, and please also look for any related entries in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes.  You'll see a list of errors and updates, with a column for each day.  (Today is all the way on the right.)

For any errors from today, or whenever you try to play again, click "View technical details," then copy the information and paste it into a text document.  (Notepad is fine.)  You can attach the file to a post as you did with your dxdiag.  Sometimes the Reliability Monitor doesn't update right away, so if you don't see any related errors, be sure to check back an hour or two.  The timestamp can also be off by up to an hour, so that's not an entirely reliable metric.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (1,119 Views)

All Replies

@sanderev66  The two most recent errors in your dxdiag are related to Razer Chroma software, so try disabling any Razer apps you have installed before playing.

There are also a pile of errors related to the driver for your graphics card.  Although the errors aren't dated, meaning it's impossible to say just from the dxdiag whether they happened before or after you upgraded your GPU, it's a good idea to do a clean uninstall and reinstall of the driver anyway.  Download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3183

Download a fresh copy of the Nvidia driver from here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/162105/en-us

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then launch Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like; make sure the box in red is checked:

DDU 1.1.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

DDU 2.png

In the blue box, choose GPU, then Nvidia if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (red box).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, run the driver install .exe in custom mode.  Select "perform a clean installation" and install ONLY the GPU driver and the PHYSX software.

Reboot again, go back online, and see whether the game works normally.  Please keep testing using a new save in a clean Sims 4 folder, as you've done, just to remove any complicating factors.

If you get another crash, let me know, and please also look for any related entries in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes.  You'll see a list of errors and updates, with a column for each day.  (Today is all the way on the right.)

For any errors from today, or whenever you try to play again, click "View technical details," then copy the information and paste it into a text document.  (Notepad is fine.)  You can attach the file to a post as you did with your dxdiag.  Sometimes the Reliability Monitor doesn't update right away, so if you don't see any related errors, be sure to check back an hour or two.  The timestamp can also be off by up to an hour, so that's not an entirely reliable metric.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (1,120 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks after doing all of that, the Sims 4 worked like normal.  Thanks for the quick and detailed help.

Message 3 of 3 (1,077 Views)