The Sims 4 action cue delay

by SimPlumbobGreen

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The Sims 4 action cue delay

★★★ Apprentice

Hello! This issue has been bothering me for a while now, but at this point in time it has completely gotten on my nerves. So, say I want to click on my Sim's computer. If I do so, there's a 1-2 second delay for the actions menu to pop up. Whereas if I click on something like the TV, it's instant. This is really aggravating! And any help will be appreciated.

Message 1 of 13 (18,720 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: The Sims 4 action cue delay

★★★ Expert

Graphics card manufacturers are constantly looking for ways to make their cards perform better. Games rely heavily on the graphics card to run. Driver updates are how they adjust the way the graphic card deals with the data the game send to it, so updating those gives you the best performance Nividia, in your case, has managed to find for that card.

As for running at 60 FPS on ultra, no. Your Processor is 2.6 Ghz speed so that's going to slow things down somewhat. 3.5 or better would get you closer to that ideal.

That's also a laptop and, even Nividia mobile graphics cards are more compact and, not as strong as their desktop counterparts. That's true of ANY laptop.

Laptops, because of their compact design are also more prone to overheating. They simply don't have room for the larger or extra fans and cooling systems desktops have. The higer the graphics settings in the game, the more work your computer has to do and, the harder it works, the hotter components inside get - a bit like you working on a hot day, the harder you work, the more you sweat. Only computers can't sweat to cool off, they only have air circulation to cool them. A laptop simply cant circulate as much air inside itself as desktops can.

Cooling pads, playing games in a cool room and, keeping the laptop on a hard surface all help it to cool better but, pushing it close to its limits, like Ultra setting would do is still going to generate a lot of heat and, too much heat can cause various parts, usually the graphics card and processor, to fail either immediately, or a lot sooner than they would if they were never overheated.

View in thread

Message 10 of 13 (22,335 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Expert

Clearing out personal Sim inventories can help reduce lag. Also when clicking on a TV, for example, Several sims can do that activity at the same time so, the game does not need to check if the item is in use but, only one sim can use a computer at a time so, the game needs to check if the computer is in use before sending your sim to use it. Depending on your computer, that may take a second or two.

Message 2 of 13 (18,703 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Oh so this isn't my game or computers fault? My Sims inventories aren't usually that full anyway.

Message 3 of 13 (18,701 Views)

★★★ Expert

No, it isn't your game or computer, just the way the game needs to work. Admittedly a more powerful computer would shorten that delay by a few microseconds at least, but it doesn't mean anything is wrong with your game or computer.

Message 4 of 13 (18,686 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Whew. I also just though of another question. In windowed full screen mode the game lowers by like 10 fps. This means that some places like the hospital I only get like 20-40 fps! I can't play in full screen mode though, because it makes the game lag oddly? And v-sync doesn't help it in any way other than make it weird when I scroll the camera around.

Message 5 of 13 (18,676 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

Would you mind If I took a look at your  DXDIAG report.

I can see if there might be updates that would help your game run better and, when I know what graphics card you have, I can help you adjust settings to get your game running better.

Message 6 of 13 (18,663 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Okay! Here's my DxDiag, also, my graphics card is a GTX 860m, it shows the Intel HD graphics first though.

Message 7 of 13 (18,652 Views)

★★★ Expert

Your DXDiag looks pretty good.

Windows is up to date.

Your Intel graphics chip probably is as well but, it never hurts to check with Del/Alienware to see if there might be a new update for it.

The one thing that isn't up to date is you Nvidia Drivers. You can update those with GeForce Experience or, at the Nvidia website.

Also make 100% certain the game is using the Nvidia graphics card.

Using Nvidia Switchable Graphics That applies to any brand of computer.

Message 8 of 13 (18,639 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I'll update my Nvidia drivers, but how will this help my game in any way? Also, I'm 100% certain the game is using the Nvidia driver. I have the Nvidia GPU activity thing in my task bar, and it shows The Sims whenever I play it. Do you think my setup is good enough to run ultra on 60 fps? I run with everything on High, and lighting on very high, with around 30-50 fps. Is my computer under performing maybe? Or is 30-50 fps good? xD

Message 9 of 13 (18,627 Views)

★★★ Expert

Graphics card manufacturers are constantly looking for ways to make their cards perform better. Games rely heavily on the graphics card to run. Driver updates are how they adjust the way the graphic card deals with the data the game send to it, so updating those gives you the best performance Nividia, in your case, has managed to find for that card.

As for running at 60 FPS on ultra, no. Your Processor is 2.6 Ghz speed so that's going to slow things down somewhat. 3.5 or better would get you closer to that ideal.

That's also a laptop and, even Nividia mobile graphics cards are more compact and, not as strong as their desktop counterparts. That's true of ANY laptop.

Laptops, because of their compact design are also more prone to overheating. They simply don't have room for the larger or extra fans and cooling systems desktops have. The higer the graphics settings in the game, the more work your computer has to do and, the harder it works, the hotter components inside get - a bit like you working on a hot day, the harder you work, the more you sweat. Only computers can't sweat to cool off, they only have air circulation to cool them. A laptop simply cant circulate as much air inside itself as desktops can.

Cooling pads, playing games in a cool room and, keeping the laptop on a hard surface all help it to cool better but, pushing it close to its limits, like Ultra setting would do is still going to generate a lot of heat and, too much heat can cause various parts, usually the graphics card and processor, to fail either immediately, or a lot sooner than they would if they were never overheated.

Message 10 of 13 (22,336 Views)