Re: The Sims 4 Video Error (dxdiag incluced) please read!

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

The Sims 4 Video Error (dxdiag incluced) please read!

★★ Novice

I understand that this is a heavily covered topic on these forums, however I don't understand my dxdiag report so I'm just posting my own page on this problem in the hopes that someone can review it and translate it for me.

As I said, this problem has been heavily covered on the forums so I've already tried most things suggested, including turning off Origin In-Game, running in windowed, restarting my PC, running through GeForce Experience and reinstalling/rolling back my drivers to the most recent version. My graphics card is a 1660 SUPER which is no more than 2 months old and has never had any problems with any games before. I bought The Sims 4 today through the Black Friday deal. 

The problem reads:

Unable to start: Can't run The Sims 4 with the video card in this system. Please check that the video card meets the minimum specifications and that the latest video drivers are installed.

I've attached my dxdiag incase their are any blaring issues that I'm missing. I'm willing to do anything to get the game working; I'm reluctant to uninstall/reinstall if possible since I'd rather try anything else first, but I'm willing if that will fix the error.

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 6 (463 Views)

@Mercellusive  So the game has never run on this computer?  Do you have a Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts?  If so, please attach the config.log file inside.  You can delete your user and computer names, about 25 lines down, but the file doesn't contain any other identifying information.

For the issue itself, please try playing in a clean boot:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

When you restart, go through the Task Manager's background processes list and shut down anything that doesn't need to be running.  A number of apps, everything from MSI Afterburner to RGB software, don't get disabled during a clean boot, so you'll need to deal with them manually.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (445 Views)

★★ Novice

No, the game has never run at all. The Legcay Edition works, I discovered that this morning but the Standard Edition refuses to open still.
Yes, I've looked into the config.txt file, it simply says - Unable to read graphics device parameters. (code: 1)

I have attached it still.

I am going to run a clean boot now, will update this if it works, thank you!

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 3 of 6 (434 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Unfortunately, playing from a clean boot doesn't fix the issue.

I followed the guide and made sure to disable all the extra stuff, but it hasn't worked.

Message 4 of 6 (431 Views)

@Mercellusive  In case it's really that easy (sometimes it is), try clearing Origin's cache and then repairing the game: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and seelct Repair.  Here's how to clear Origin's cache:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

Since you haven't been able to play, it's probably not relevant, but if you have added mods or custom content, please move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  This gets everything out of the way at once.  And if you've installed Reshade for Sims 4, please get rid of that too.

You mentioned trying to play in windowed mode, but how did you do that?  There's a setting in GeForce Experience, which you can try, and there's also a way within Origin: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, select Game Properties > Advanced Launch Options, and enter -w (with the - sign) in the command line box.  When you do this, please shut down GFE first, so its settings don't have any effect.

If none of that helps, please try disabling your antivirus, at least long enough to test.  It's often not enough anymore to simply set exceptions for Sims 4 and Origin.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 5 of 6 (413 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict  I've cleared Origin's cache and disabled my antivirus long enough for The Sims to work, and nothing.

I've been running it in windowed using the method you described, with -w in the game properties tab. I will try completely closing GFE and see how that works.

For now, the LE is still working just fine and I've had a great time playing so far.

Message 6 of 6 (408 Views)