Re: The Sims 4 - Video Card Error

by Phantomlover1717

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The Sims 4 - Video Card Error

★★★ Newbie

Hey all! I've noticed that this has been a common issue but I can't seem to figure out why nothing is working for me. 
Anytime I try to run The Sims 4, I get an error message that says: 

"Unable to start:

Can't run The Sims 4 with the video card in this system. Please check that the video card meets the minimum specifications and that the latest video drivers are installed. 

[0e6d1221:df4e8dc:80010000:00000000]"

I've included the DxDiag, however I know for a fact that my graphics card is compatible. 

I've completed the following tasks in order to fix this:
1) Uninstall and reinstall of The Sims 4 (as well as re-downloading)

2) Uninstall and reinstall of Origin (as well as re-downloading)

3) Uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers for my video card

4) Rebooting

5) I have disabled Origin In-Game

I should also mention that Origin is behaving in a sort of buggy way when I open up windows to adjust settings (such as the Game Properties window for the Sims 4), as in most of the content in the popup windows don't appear in a sort of glitchy way. It's hard to explain but a lot of the time when one of the fixes requires looking in one of the preferences windows I can't view them properly in order to change any settings. Not sure if that is related to the problem or what.

If anyone could help me troubleshoot this it would be excellent, because I've been at it for over two hours already and I've pretty much lost what little sanity I had in the first place. 

Message 1 of 11 (11,562 Views)

Accepted Solution

Your graphics card drivers are from september 2017, I think there should be a newer one. 
Could you try installing the GeForce Expierence: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/
And see if that detects a newer version?

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

View in thread

Message 2 of 11 (11,766 Views)

All Replies

Your graphics card drivers are from september 2017, I think there should be a newer one. 
Could you try installing the GeForce Expierence: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/
And see if that detects a newer version?

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 2 of 11 (11,767 Views)

★★★ Newbie

That's strange, I had updated them to the newest version from January through the Nvidia webpage but I will try again... Either way I'm quite certain that didn't fix my problem before, not sure how I reverted the update to the one from September. 

Message 3 of 11 (11,499 Views)

★★★ Newbie
WELP I updated it through the GeForce Experience and it worked. Thanks!
Message 4 of 11 (11,495 Views)

★★ Novice

Sadly this nor like 6 other solutions have not yet worked. My video card  played this game before i did the Win 10 install. 

Tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling the game

tried repairing the game

tried removing every mod i had for it

removed the INI file

uninstalled my video card drivers and reinstalled using GeForce experience (did this 3 times now. twice today alone) so my drivers are up to date

Only have the 1 video card (currently running 4 monitors. and have ran the game with all 4 running also but just 1 playing the game)

Disabled origin online

Attempted to turn off game mode in windows settings but that isnt an option (just says  "this pc can run game mode) but has no on/off option

A tad annoyed I have only about 20 hours in this game. sure dont feel it was worth the price not getting much game time in before "updates" brick the game

Message 5 of 11 (11,392 Views)

★★ Novice

ditto. I still haven't got it to work after trying all fixes suggested....

Message 6 of 11 (11,379 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Hi @Selena1233 @livebyhonor

please try the following things

1. See if it starts in windowed mode
  2. Turn off Origin In Game (already suggested above)
  3. If you have a dual graphics system, make sure the game runs on the card and not the chip
  4. Uninstall and reinstall your graphics drivers (already suggested above)
  5. Rollback to earlier graphics drivers
  6. Right click on the game in Origin and press repair game

Test after each step

If none of these work, could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

You can attach the txt file to your post directly.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 7 of 11 (11,365 Views)

★ Novice

Hi! i have never used this website before so i don't know how to post a question , so i decided to just reply, iv been having the same problem in this post , it says the video card is not working but something weird happened before that, i was in my sims 4 game  and was playing in the temple in jungle adventure when suddenly the screen froze i didn't know what to do so then i just closed the game and tried to load it and thats when the error message came up , i would really like some help if anyone knows whats going on

Message 8 of 11 (11,091 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey guys, so i been dealing this problem ALL DAY, and i was legit about to sorta cry and give up, and i installed/ updated my Geforce drivers, and installed/reinstalled GeForce experience, i did this about 2-3 times for each, the drivers and the experience as well, i also restarted my PC, and i took notes to edit from the GeForce Experience, edit you're window type, i choose windowed, instead of full screen, the 3rd TIME AROUND, this was my last time trying, and surprisingly IT WORKED! FINALLY! its in windowed form, and all updated, drivers, msi, cpu. even my malware i updated. And before this, i tried the force add on folder/virus protection and added Ts4_x64 that NEVER worked so i removed all that, defaulted back to the original, and re did the STEPS. installed/updated drivers, the game itself, and finally worked the 3rd time around. SO all i have say DONT GIVE UP, MAYBE try 3-4 times updating/ removing/ restarting you're PC over and over until finally get it working, SEEMS that WINDOWED MODE, really was the last thing to HELP me get my game to START UP. NOW i did get a error about my video cards BUT the game is working SO i dont understand what could still be wrong, i want to restart my PC again now, to make sure no problems when i do turn it off and get off, and restart and come on to play Sims the next day, BECAUSE if this became a problem everyday, ill be done with the SIMS lol i dont want to be, but today was HELL trying figure this out and finally PLAY and i was SHOPPING for CC all day until I realized my game never, ever was going to work apparently, BUT now IT DOES. SO BOO YA! 

I HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE/EVERYONE OUT! Enjoy.

Message 9 of 11 (10,648 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@crinrict Right clicking and Repairing game on origin worked! thanks so much! Was so bummed nothing was working
Message 10 of 11 (7,980 Views)