The Sims 4 (Steam) will not launch, only opens EA app (SOLVED)

by coldoska

Original Post

Highlighted

The Sims 4 (Steam) will not launch, only opens EA app (SOLVED)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Here's what happened: It worked completely fine when I first got it on Steam, then I seen my Steam account was linked to my old EA account. I called customer service, they helped me link my Steam account to my new EA account. After this happened, the game no longer launches at all.

I've tried just about everything and called EA customer service three times today.

• Reinstalling The Sims 4 (Steam) and EA app
  • Repairing The Sims 4 game & verifying game cache files (in Steam)
  • Signing in and out of new account
  • Trying to open it through Origin instead of EA app (still does not launch)
  • Game is NOT stuck in background, it refuses to launch: only opens EA app then nothing happens
  • A customer service representative even suggested I link my Steam back to my old EA account (the one it initially worked on). We did. It still does not work.

How can I fix this? I really want to play The Sims 4 through Steam, and I cannot download it using EA/Origin since it's "linked through Steam".

I feel like Link2EA is where the problem is happening. I also suspect the game key may be broken and that's why it refuses to connect, but I got it for free on Steam.

Can anyone help with this? It's driving me insane.

SOLVED: Fixed by logging into another Windows user. It runs fine over there. Same Steam & EA account.

Message 1 of 13 (15,505 Views)

Re: The Sims 4 (Steam) will not launch, only opens EA app (SOLVED)

★ Novice

I have a similar problem, except, my game will launch about 50% of the time.

If it fails to launch, it won't launch at all, no matter how many times I press play in Steam.

I have to restart my computer to try again.

The EA window opens but then closes again without launching the game.

Restart the computer, try again, this time the game starts normally.

Message 2 of 13 (14,558 Views)

@stephenlewis2012  What antivirus do you use?  Did you try the suggestion in the original post?

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 13 (14,547 Views)

★ Novice

I just restart my computer. Eventually the game loads after restarting. I have had to restart once or twice to get it to work.

I noticed a few days ago that Windows 10 was doing an update, which could explain this occurrence at that time, but it happened today as well with no updates happening. I have automatic Windows updates paused for 7 days at the moment.

I use Express VPN, so that could be the cause. Or some other app on my computer checking for updates or logging in. However, when I ctrl+alt+del and check in Task Manager, there does not seem to be any obvious cause. I do not use a virus protection except for the standard Windows firewalls and protections. I find a virus scan protection slows down my potato too much.

My best guess is that the problem is at the EA end of things, on their server. The reason I think this is that sometimes I get a message saying that "things are taking a little bit longer", and this happens when I first open the EA app.

Lately EA has released their newest expansion, Growing Together, with game updates as well, and Steam has recently had a Spring Sale, where many packs were on sale at 50% off. I think this may have caused a greater than usual surge of gamers accessing the EA servers, and things may settle down a little after the initial excitement wears off.

Message 4 of 13 (14,534 Views)

@stephenlewis2012  If things don't settle down, I'd test without your VPN.  The EA App doesn't always get along with VPNs, and neither did Origin.  Why that is, I don't know, but I've read enough reports.

Message 5 of 13 (14,519 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Yep. My VPN was the problem.

Or it would be more accurate to say that EA has the problem with VPN, since all my other Steam games work just fine with VPN on in the background.

I turned VPN off in the Windows srartup options, and also in the VPN app options, and now the game launches first attempt, and more smoothly as well.

Message 6 of 13 (14,476 Views)

★ Novice

Nope.

My VPN was not the problem.

After uninstalling my VPN entirely, the problem still remains. Sometimes launching the game from Steam works first time, and sometimes it won't load at all, no matter how many attempts to launch the game.

Only restarting the computer works.

Message 7 of 13 (14,313 Views)

@stephenlewis2012  Do you fully exit out of the EA App each time you're done playing?  Merely Xing out the window doesn't close it; you'd need to open the dropdown menu and quit from there.

If that doesn't help, the next time this happens, close the App, open the Task Manager and kill the EABackgroundService, which will be under background processes.  Then open the App again and see whether you can play without restarting your computer.

Message 8 of 13 (14,294 Views)

★ Novice

I, too, am curious as to the cause of this problem,

so YES, I have tried completely closing Steam and EA App in the Task Manager,

and then waiting a few minutes and re-launching as you described.

But it didn't work, as I recall.

Why restarting the computer works, that is the thing I would like to understand.

But it doesn't matter in the long run, as long as I can get it working eventually.

Message 9 of 13 (14,285 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i do have exactly the same problem i have everything imaginable and its the exactly situation i dont know what to do anymore

Message 10 of 13 (14,102 Views)