The Sims 4 Steam has no Steam Overlay and disabling Origin In-Game issue.

by azfar90my

Original Post

Re: The Sims 4 Steam has no Steam Overlay and disabling Origin In-Game issue.

@azfar90my  Someone else mentioned that the option to enable the Steam overlay was grayed out for Sims 4, although they didn't currently have the game installed.  Is it grayed out for you too?  Click on Sims 4 in your Steam library, click the gear icon on the right, choose Properties, and the option should be listed under General.

I checked my currently-not-installed Steam games, and the option to enable the overlay was clickable for all of them, so I don't know why Sims 4 would be different.  But please do take a look.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 11 of 32 (1,295 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict No greyed out here. I can toggle on and off like normal. But tried unchecked and checked, both don't seem to able to bring the overlay still.

ts4ov.PNG

Message 12 of 32 (1,283 Views)

@azfar90my  Thanks for looking.  Just in case it's really that simple, please try playing in a clean user folder.  Move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and the game will create a new folder the next time you open it.  Don't add anything to this folder yet; just see whether the overlay works.

If it doesn't, please let me know what antivirus you use.

Message 13 of 32 (1,268 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I have done that too before this, in case if something wrong with my mod and settings and I just let the game starts a new fresh save folder and I backup my saves somewhere else, but problem still there.

I re-downloaded a game as well, although for some reason, when uninstalled, "The Sims 4" in Steam's 'common' folder was not completely deleted like any other games, so I have to quit Origin because it says I need permission to delete, possibly due to Origin took control of that folder, and then I'm able to delete it manually.

But then, after waiting for it finished downloading the game, still no overlay either.

My antivirus has not blocked the game nor the firewall since I can access the Gallery online. Nothing is blocking the access of game and Steam UI overlay as well.

Another thing is I tried Big Picture mode, with and without controller attached, still the same.

Other EA games just fine, but only TS4 for strange reason have this problem.

Message 14 of 32 (1,257 Views)

@azfar90my  Someone else reported the same issues you have a few hours ago, so I'd like to compare your information with theirs.  Please let me know specifically which antivirus you use, even if it's never been an issue and all the settings should allow everything through.  Please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 15 of 32 (1,251 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict The DXDiag results is here: https://justpaste.it/95l4y

My antivirus only from Windows Security, which I tried turning off before, and I checked any blocked apps or threat, and nothing solve it.

Another thing is I also checked the Windows Services and make Origin Client and Web Helper Service with all startup types; auto, manual, disabled, but turned out nothing.

I make sure every other overlay is disabled like Windows Game Bar, which I already turned off long ago because I never use it anyway and Nvidia Shadowplay/Geforce Experience, and still the same. I still suspect the Origin In-game could be the cause since it's still showing in the game despite it's turned off.
Message 16 of 32 (1,231 Views)

@azfar90my  Your dxdiag lists a number of errors relate to EasyTune, which you may or may not be actively using, and a couple errors that reference a component of the Nvidia graphics driver.  So normally I'd suggest you start there.  However, the other person with this issue figured out what was causing it for them:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Steam-stopped-counting-hours-of-game-playing-status-an...

Even if that doesn't exactly apply to you, please try restarting your computer and launching Sims 4 from its desktop shortcut, or from TS4_x64.exe in the game's program files, without opening Origin or Steam first.  If you have them set to open with Windows, please change the settings temporarily to test.

Message 17 of 32 (1,210 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I tried running the game whether from EXE directly, shortcut and start menu without both Steam and Origin running in background (including process services), also with only Steam, only Origin, and completely disabled any autorun of these programs after starting the Windows (shut down and restart), did not solve as well.

I tried looking at regedit (Registry Editor), does not find any suspicious thing related to TS4, like missing link or anything; it's just the same as other EA games I have, except that they have Steam Overlay perfectly running.

I have downloaded a couple of registry fix software, found and fixed other registry stuff that's not related even; same problem.

The only thing I can confirmed that overlay is working in TS4, is by adding Origin to Non-Steam library, which I did previously before TS4 officially available on Steam. I tested this now and the game at least show the overlay is working, which technically solved a bit of my original problem. However, it's not really a true solution as I have no idea why only this game has problem showing its real Steam overlay.

At this point, my only choice is possibly just re-install Win, which means I have to backup tons of thing, deactivated a couple of software and key registered to PC and such. But I'm not going to do it just for this game's overlay only, so not worth a hassle for me.
Message 18 of 32 (1,181 Views)

@azfar90my  Thanks for trying, and I'm sorry it didn't help.  I thought I'd already suggested a clean boot, but apparently not.  It's possible you have some other conflicting software that neither of us has thought to address:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

When you reboot, please shut down everything nonessential in the Task Manager, just to be thorough.  And please also disconnect any peripheral devices you don't use while playing as well.  Even though it's unlikely one would affect the Steam overlay only for Sims 4, it's possible: each game uses a slightly different configuration of resources.

Otherwise, I'm still hoping someone else will have an idea, but until then, maybe just check back whenever Origin or Steam updates?  It's possible whatever element isn't playing nice with your system will be updated or replaced at some point in the future.

Message 19 of 32 (1,145 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I have disabled any non-essential startups as well.I unplugged any possible USB connection (Speaker, VR headset, USB hub). I replaced my current keyboard and mouse; Logitech G19 and Thermaltake Esports Nemesis, where both are using dedicated software for custom keys and apps that show overlay, with my normal cheap K&M that I kept as backup. I also uninstalled their softwares, still the same.

I have tried to uninstall any unneeded/bloated software that I don't use much for now, like RGB Fusion, Masterplus RGB, Inno3D Tune It Utility, AORUS app Center and some other likes Turbotop, Borderless Gaming...and nothing.

There's still more software that I can at least try to uninstall, but I have to do it one by one until I found one which that caused this. Maybe some are interfering the DLL or something; I don't know.

So for now, I can still wait for any updates either for Origin or Steam that could possibly fix this.
I will report and make an update, only after the solution is fixed at any time at any current state of my PC, when I found something for solution or anything.
Message 20 of 32 (1,111 Views)